turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobbler Down..1st for this Spring

Started by wytrat785, April 14, 2016, 10:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wytrat785

Yesterday was opening day here in Kansas for firearm and I spent it watching this guy for 4 hours strut, spit and drum with 6 hens at a 100 yards. Got to see him also open a can of whoop a** on 2 jakes that tried to interrupt his fun. Try as I might, he refused to come any closer for me to get a shot. So after he and the hens disappeared I thought I'd relocate and cut them off at the other end of the field I was hunting. Long story short they didn't go where I thought they would but had circled around me behind me so when I cut through the creek bottom there he was staring me down about 50 yards away as I came up out of the bottom. Game over for the day. So my plan this morning was get between him and his hens. I slipped in between them like I had planned with help of some heavy fog this morning and waited. This guy was gobbling his head off. He was gobbling at everything including the cars passing by. Anyways, when his hens started yelping on the limb I did a few soft yelps which he gobbled to and was also answered by some rather aggressive series of yelps from one of his hens. It was working! Lead hen flew down and was looking for the intruder hen. Her aggressive calling brought him right in to 25 yards of my set. He had a 9" beard, 1 1/4" spurs and tipped the scale at 25.3 pounds. He felt a lot heavier than that carrying him up the hill on the way out..lol

Snood Life

cramerhunts

Congratulations on a big ole bird! Love it when a plan comes together.

kyturkeyhunter4

OldSchool

Nice bird, congrats!! :icon_thumright: Thanks for sharing your story.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

GOOSESLAYER

Congrats......what hen deek is that ?

CMBOSTC

wytrat785

Quote from: GOOSESLAYER on April 15, 2016, 10:40:38 AM
Congrats......what hen deek is that ?

Thanks! It's the Boss Hen from Deception Outdoors. It's a great looking deek. My picture doesn't do it justice.

http://www.deceptionoutdoors.com/decoys/

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Dr Juice

Congrats. Look at his face, he is surely taking a dirt nap.  :icon_thumright: