OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 gauge barrel length

Started by vabeardhunter, April 14, 2016, 08:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vabeardhunter

Has anyone tried different barrel lengths, or had different 20's in different lengths? Was wondering if the length has much effect out of 20's? Thank you in advance for any feedback.
VABH

R AJ

I have them in 21"-24" and 26" and have no problems with any of them. The 21" 870  is lighter but not as light as a 26" single barrel. They will all work for me and I let choke and shell /pattern determine  max distance .

I use Fed HW #7 most of the time but do not hesitate to load up with Federal FC #6s or the pre flite control loads when I am in heavy woods as 30 yards is usually my long shot.

The recoil is so much easier and weight of the gun is much lighter than the 12. I have 12s that are ready to go but they get left at home every time. In short, the 20 does all you need to kill a turkey.

vabeardhunter

Quote from: RAJ on April 14, 2016, 09:31:14 PM
I have them in 21"-24" and 26" and have no problems with any of them. The 21" 870  is lighter but not as light as a 26" single barrel. They will all work for me and I let choke and shell /pattern determine  max distance .

I use Fed HW #7 most of the time but do not hesitate to load up with Federal FC #6s or the pre flite control loads when I am in heavy woods as 30 yards is usually my long shot.

The recoil is so much easier and weight of the gun is much lighter than the 12. I have 12s that are ready to go but they get left at home every time. In short, the 20 does all you need to kill a turkey.

Thanks for the feedback RAJ. I'm liking the idea more and more of turning a 20 gauge 500 I have into a turkey gun. The reason for the question was because the gun has a 26" barrel, and wanted to know if there was much difference in performance to a shorter barrel.

Sand Man

Quote from: RAJ on April 14, 2016, 09:31:14 PM

Ditto, although I've never dealt with single barrels.  I've shot an auto Benelli M1 26" barrel, 1187 26" barrel, 870 26" barrel, and 870 21" barrel.  I've always went to the 870 21" barrel gun.  It's so light and compact that it's a dream to carry hunting.  I've built 10+ of these guys for family and friends.  Everyone that hunts with us ends up wanting one.  We all either shoot TSS or Fed HW #7's.  As long as you polish the barrels, they are shooters.  I can't tell you how many birds have been killed with these guns.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

vabeardhunter

Thanks for the input. I believe its time to turn the 500 I have into a beard buster. I'll prob shoot heavy 7s out of it and make a call to have a choke sent out. Time to start the cleaning process.

dawei

H&R/NEF Ladies 20ga Single Shot - 22" Fixed Choke Barrel
Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga Pump - 26" Accu-Choke™ Barrel (Carlsons®, Hastings®, & Wrights® Tubes)
Remington® SPR220 (Baikal IZH-43) 20ga SxS - 25½" Tru Choke® Barrels (Colonial Arms® Tubes)

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given