turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bitter Sweet NC Hunt

Started by jtoliver43, April 14, 2016, 08:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtoliver43

Not to get too deep here, but I couldn't help but feel a slight sense of remorse this morning. Ive scouted harder than ever this year and have spent a lot of time keying in on one bird. I really have grown attached to this one. Ive spent many mornings listening to him on the limb and figuring out his routine. Ive sat and watched him in the field, and I have several trail cam pictures of him. This morning it all came to an end. Today was the first day I hunted him and my time scouting paid off in a big way. I bet he gobbled 50 times on the limb.... right where I knew he would be. I gave him a few soft calls and he really cranked up the heat. I watched him pitch down into the field and he flew right over me into the farthest end of the field. Once he hit the ground he put on quite the show. he gobbled on the ground more than any other bird I've ever hunted. He gobbled 200 times if he gobbled once. Well all his gobbling drew the attention of a hen and she quickly joined him in the field. Even though he now had company he continued to gobble like a maniac. He would gobble before his last gobble was even over. Not sure how this was going to play out with the arrival of the hen, I pulled out my shaker tube and shook it once. He broke strut, took one look at my avian jake, and mean walked across the field... probably 100 yards to where I was set up. Once he got in close he hung up and started gobbling again, again, again. I have never heard such madness. I picked up my range finder and lasered him at (no joke) exactly 40 yards. I raised my 20 gauge and squeezed off the shot and he fell dead at 7:30 this morning. It was and will probably remain one of my most memorable hunts! Not only that, but he was my biggest bird to date. 11inch beard and 1 and 1/4 inch spurs. I'm extremely happy with the opportunity to take him, but am kind of sad that I will never hear him gobble again! RIP loudmouth! (I named him loudmouth)
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

jtoliver43

Conserve. Hunt. Share.

jtoliver43

Conserve. Hunt. Share.

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like an awesome hunt!! Your scouting really paid off. Congrats!! :icon_thumright:

SteelerFan

He gave you a lifetime of memories... Congrats!  :icon_thumright:  :icon_thumright:

TRG3

Even though we are elated at taking an animal, there always seems to be that twinge of remorse and respect for the animal just taken. It's an important part of the hunt and, for me, I hope it remains for as long as I'm able to hunt.

mwr

MAKEemQUIVER

First of all congrats on a great bird! I know exactly where you are coming form with the remorse. I love focusing on one bird, learning his habits and trying to kill just that bird. Is awesome when it comes together but it sucks when you cant go watch and listen to him anymore.
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

Hookinembig

Sounds like and awesome bird. Memories are what makes turkey hunting so special. Congrats.

Dr Juice

Quote from: TRG3 on April 14, 2016, 08:42:26 PM
Even though we are elated at taking an animal, there always seems to be that twinge of remorse and respect for the animal just taken. It's an important part of the hunt and, for me, I hope it remains for as long as I'm able to hunt.
X2

J-Shaped

Congrats on making it happen. You'll remember that one for a long time, and to me, the ones like that, that you form a bond with, are the best.

Marc

Quote from: TRG3 on April 14, 2016, 08:42:26 PM
Well said...

We are killing an animal (or animals) for fun (and food).  If I ever stop feeling a bit bad about it, it is probably time to stop doing it.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

renegade19

wytrat785

Nice bird!  :you_rock: I know how you feel. TRG3 said it very well. I'll add to that the feeling of thankfulness I feel that the good Lord let me harvest such a wonderful creature.

hobbes

Congrats!  I wouldn't be sad, there will be another take his place.