OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Woodhaven $ ?

Started by MattinIdaho, April 14, 2016, 03:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattinIdaho

I'm in no way trying to stir the pot here. I've never ran one but I've always wondered why their pots are so spendy. It's not an exotic wood or anything that would cause to to more expensive. And if if they do run great, do they run that great? Just something I've long been curious about.

JLH

My thoughts.....it's good marketing. Put the price high, so the consumer thinks he's getting something better.
They are mass produced on a cnc, there is no way they have any more than $8 in materials in one....especially if they are dealing in the volume that they have.

It's kinda like rage broadheads....they charge $45 for three heads that they have made in China for a dollar a piece.....but because of marketing, people think they are the greatest!

I have run a couple at a bass pro shops....not impressive to me.
Sounded the same as every other mass produced call.
Sure it will kill a turkey, but I want a call that will work on the birds that don't come running in.

Hankyorke

I've run a couple of them. They are nice calls. I won't spend $90 on one, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a used one from the classifieds.

longbow2240

I like Woodhaven. That's all I own and all I'll ever own. Just my two cents.

jordanz7935

They definitely are some pricey calls. That said I have never run a bad sounding woodhaven call. They were far better than anything else at bass pro last time I was there. I'd rank them at the " top" of production calls right along with Cody and Hooks. They really are a great company with a great group of guys, Scott Ellis is a great guy. They sound night and day better than 90% of production calls available today.Some people drink so much kool-aid they get fluid in their ears. :TooFunny:

scoot12

Here are my thoughts,  I own a cherry classic crystal and a vision aluminum.  I used to own the vintage hen crystal and vision crystal, but sold those.  The two I do own are fine sounding calls.  I hate to say it but they sound better then a lot of the custom stuff I own.  Are they worth price,  probably not but the ones I have do sound really good.  I will say that I have ran a few that sound nothing like the ones I own.  I called Woodhaven and had them run a few and picked the ones out I wanted.  Scoot

beakbuster10

Marketing, sponsoring callers, tv,    selling at big box stores. All that stuff costs money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

Do I think Woodhaven puts out a quality product, as a whole? Yes. Do I think they are a little too "proud" of their product when it comes to pricing? Definitely, but there are a lot of calls that could be placed in that category (even customs), and as long as the "market" will bear it, then it is what it is.     

I question more the $15 for a mouth call? Really? C'mon, now...

Bowguy

Quote from: JLH on April 14, 2016, 03:32:09 PM
My thoughts.....it's good marketing. Put the price high, so the consumer thinks he's getting something better.
They are mass produced on a cnc, there is no way they have any more than $8 in materials in one....especially if they are dealing in the volume that they have.

It's kinda like rage broadheads....they charge $45 for three heads that they have made in China for a dollar a piece.....but because of marketing, people think they are the greatest!

Sure it will kill a turkey, but I want a call that will work on the birds that don't come running in.
This Is exactly right

wvhoyt19

Best production calls out there. Great group of guys as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Gobbler

Run one , and you'll know why -they sound fantastic
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

jed clampett

I think they are great sounding calls....i have an love the cherry classic crystal..and the legend slate so what if they cost alot....so does everything else...i have bought custom calls that didn't sound very good...i love Cody calls as well..the real hen and the southern belle are good sounding boxes as well

TauntoHawk

Lots of Items in today's world are marked as premium because they tell you its premium and price it as such... after that its up to the user to decide what is "worth it". Someone has to be the most expensive at stores like Cabelas and bass Pro

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Buzzkiller

Quote from: JLH on April 14, 2016, 03:32:09 PM

When you find a call that works on the birds that don't come running in Please tell me.

jed clampett

LMAO....that last post was funny!!!