OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

That's a wrap on the season and first public land bird

Started by reynolds243, April 14, 2016, 03:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reynolds243

There is a small wma across from my house that is access by boat or public ground only. I have permission to go through the private land to it which makes it easy.  It's a real small area so I try not to hunt it much at all. Well 2 years ago I got out smarted by a bird there all year and missed him 2x with a gun through the Season and never did kill him. Last year I never heard or saw a mature bird there and as of now his year I've only seen 3 jakes and hens there.

Well on my way home from the gym today I see ol boy way out in the private field right on the edge of the wma. So I run to the house (less then a mile) and grab my gear and head back.  He was gone when I got back so I cut through the private land I have access to and hit the call. He hammered pretty close so I literally just sat down. There was a rise in front of me with a big drop where he was at below that.

I could hear him strutting and walking up the hill but couldn't see him. After 20mins I couldn't hear or see anything still it was all quiet. I almost got up but something said call one more time. I hit a few cuts and he hammered 30yds from me but way to my right. Spun around the tree and there he was strutting. Watched him strut and drum to 21yds and let the 12 roar.

First Tn public bird and a wrap to my season this year.

19lbs

11" beard
1 1/8 Spurs.

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

Spitten and drummen

Sounds like a great hunt. Fine bird you got. Congrats
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

SteelerFan

crow

Dr Juice

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

RutnNStrutn

packmule

OldSchool

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

steveo

Great bird ! Nice thick rope..... Public land bird ya did good ! :icon_thumright:

cramerhunts

boomer