Started by C.Kimzey95, April 13, 2016, 08:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Best of luck to you also.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

RutnNStrutn

Marc

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 13, 2016, 09:45:02 PM
I totally respect that "personal line". That's how it should be. Methods beyond your personal line may be legal, but they ain't your style. More power to you!! Best of luck this spring!! :icon_thumright:

To some degree yes, but to some degree, we as a turkey hunting community need to be stewards of the sport.

I for one would like to see electronics (calls and decoys) banned from all bird hunting period.  I would hate to see the day that electronic duck or turkey calls were allowed, and I am not a fan of electronic duck or turkey decoys.  When the decision for electronic spinning wing decoys was being made in my state, I wrote, called, and emailed my point of view.  Apparently I was in the minority though.

For many of us, the population and terrain we hunt dictates the ethics we feel are appropriate.  Hunting a small population of birds in a large area, I am more likely to utilize means necessary to take a bird.  Hunting a large population of birds, I would probably want to make things more challenging.

I grew up duck hunting and decoying ducks, so sticking out a turkey decoy seemed/seems pretty natural to me.  But I have probably had them work against me more than I have had them work in my favor.  If I think they would be a benefit, I will put out a pair though.

But I understand what Happy is saying.  If we found that magic decoy or call that worked vastly superior to other methods (currently in use), I for one would not like to see it allowed.  If fanning creates that much of a reaction, it probably does not belong in fair-chase turkey hunting....  I have never seen it work or not, so I really have no opinion, but I will admit to wanting to try it once or twice just to see.  Honestly for me, it probably will not do a whole lot of good, cause so often if I can see the bird, I can shoot him.

And from everything I have seen or heard about reaping, I remain uncertain as to whether or not that is really fair-chase...  I won't cry if they make it illegal in my state.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

fallhnt

Who cares what we think. If it's legal and you want to do it,then do it.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

nosaj

Great debate with endless shades of gray. 

I probably wouldn't do it because I hunt on semi public and public land where it would not be that safe.  You could make an argument that knowing how and when to use a fan could be an art similar to calling or using a wing.  I could see a scenario where I might try it, if it was safe say on a large tract of private land in an open area and I had been hunting a monster for a while with out success....who knows.  It would certainly not be my first option.

As stewards of the sport we should have these discussions and this forum seems to do it well. 

Where these things go  :TrainWreck1:  in forums is when people start in with personal attacks or blanket statements about their personal way being the right way and any other opinion is dead wrong and people are lesser of a person for even thinking it.  It is nice to see very little of that here.

Bill Cooksey

Really enjoyed Marc's last post. Let's put aside the ethics and safety argument for a moment. Let's simply discuss conservation. The majority of hunting regulations were originally put in place to keep harvest from rising above sustainable levels. Bait, live decoys and plug restrictions were among these, and it had absolutely NOTHING to do with ethics. They were accepted and normal techniques prior to being outlawed. Obviously seasons and limits are the same.

Once those specific things were identified and outlawed and seasons were set, hunting moved forward with the idea of hunters take being compensatory rather than additive. There are cases such as snow geese and occasionally whitetails in specific areas when additive mortality is desired, but these are the exception.

Now, if a hunting technique comes along which tilts the scales to additive, what should happen? A change will be required. It could be lower limits and/or shorter seasons, or it could be outlawing that technique such as was done with bait, plugs and live decoys. Many don't realize it yet, but we're close to that point where I live. I realize it's different elsewhere, and this isn't an issue for you. For me, I'd rather see officials start with curtailing certain techniques before cutting the season and limits. See if that accomplishes the objective and move forward accordingly.

Not at all an ethical argument. Simply conservation 101 and currently an issue where I hunt.

trkehunr93

It all boils down to if your state allows it and its a legal tactic, i don't know of any that ban it.  Kinda hard to argue ethics if it's a legal means of helping in the killing of a turkey.  Most of these discussions are really about what our own values are when it comes to hunting, I can't say I would do it but I'm not going to belittle someone who does, again if your state says it's legal then no one really has any reason to fuss about how you hunt.  In VA we allow rifles to be used, I don't agree with it but it's legal so who am I to judge, if I encounter someone hunting turkeys with one I kindly change locations and look out for my own safety.  I don't have time to rake someone over the coals for doing something I wouldn't do.  It's in our nature to do whatever it takes to succeed at something and if flashing a real turkey fan to a gobbler who will not commit is what you need to do then good for you, I'll choose to relocate to another set up or let him live to fight another day.  My  :z-twocents:

TrackeySauresRex

This is the fan I use. It helps keep the skeeters away.

:goofball:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

tha bugman

I personally would not use one where I hunt.

Bill Cooksey

Quote from: trkehunr93 on April 14, 2016, 10:21:37 AM
It all boils down to if your state allows it and its a legal tactic, i don't know of any that ban it.  Kinda hard to argue ethics if it's a legal means of helping in the killing of a turkey.  Most of these discussions are really about what our own values are when it comes to hunting, I can't say I would do it but I'm not going to belittle someone who does, again if your state says it's legal then no one really has any reason to fuss about how you hunt.  In VA we allow rifles to be used, I don't agree with it but it's legal so who am I to judge, if I encounter someone hunting turkeys with one I kindly change locations and look out for my own safety.  I don't have time to rake someone over the coals for doing something I wouldn't do.  It's in our nature to do whatever it takes to succeed at something and if flashing a real turkey fan to a gobbler who will not commit is what you need to do then good for you, I'll choose to relocate to another set up or let him live to fight another day.  My  :z-twocents:

Actually, what is legal and what is ethical can be two very different thing. For instance, while duck hunting, shooting a cripple while the boat is under power is generally the ethical thing to do, but it is illegal almost everywhere (legal in some sea duck zones). It's the ethical thing to do because many cripples are lost when they repeatedly dive while a hunter waits for his boat to stop. Now, there's a good reason for the law, but it doesn't change what is proper in regards to ethics. Is it ethical to bait in a state where it is legal? Why? How about shooting a turkey off the roost? It is legal in some states.

Regardless, I agree we shouldn't deride anyone who hunts within the law.

snapper1982

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 13, 2016, 09:31:48 PM
Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 13, 2016, 09:02:45 PM
Quote from: Happy on April 13, 2016, 08:52:22 PM
Personally it violates my rules of fair chase. This is just my reasoning but I think that there are certain things that trigger a bird to respond a very high percentage of the time and makes it easier to kill them. Calling doesn't have as high of a success rate as compared to fanning.  By my logic I have a call, a shotgun and a hen decoy occasionally.  If that isn't enough to kill him then maybe some self improvement on my end is necessary.  Some true old school guys won't use any decoy ever and my hat is off to them. This is just my personal viewpoint and if it's legal and you want to do it then that's your decision. I would suggest extreme caution though. Some people will shoot at just about anything.
Since you stated you sometimes use a decoy, I don't see how a fan can violate your rules of fair chase. A fan is nothing more than a decoy. Kinda like saying "I don't approve of mouth calls but box calls are ok". I also think that aggressive cutts will get a response much better than soft clucks later in the day, still fair chase to me!  Like I said, if it's legal and doesn't cause a dangerous situation, then who are we to judge?
Exactly what I was thinking!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Fan, strutting deke, jake deke, hen deke, what's the difference? They are all visual aids to help the hunt.
Those who have been here long enough know my opinion. If it's legal, and it makes you happy, go for it!! People have way too many opinions on what is ethical to factor in ethics. If you don't care to do it, don't do it!! But don't criticize other hunters for employing a legal method for harvesting. Kumbaya!!!  ;) ;D

perfectly said!
I want to add for all you people who say it is dangerous. You better just stop turkey hunting because just sitting and calling has gotten more people shot than fanning or reaping. So by your views no one should use a call.

Bill Cooksey

Give it time. They've only become somewhat widely practiced very recently. Doing anything which makes you appear more like a turkey enhances the potential of an accident. Hunters have been shot in the hand when they pulled out a red and white pack of cigarettes, and I know of at least two incidents of hunters being shot while using toilet paper (flash of white). I'm not arguing anything based on safety, but it would be foolish to not use caution when you pull out a fan.

Again, my argument is simply based on conservation and it does not apply in all regions. When a population is in decline (as it is in many areas), harvest will eventually be curtailed by regulations. In those instances, I'd rather officials at least consider outlawing a technique vs. cutting seasons and limits.

870FaceLift

I understand that a fan can invoke a gobbler's response, but as others have said, so do calls.  Personally, I have had decoys ruin more hunts than be an advantage.  I still use them when the situation is appropriate, and I will not rule out using a fan on private property.  It's interesting that this is gaining so much attention.  I first saw someone doing this 20+ years ago.  The gentleman I'm speaking of used it to close the distance between him and a gobbler with hens in the middle of a field.

Pass it on...

silvestris

Legal does not automatically equate with fair chase.  When I find that I require anything other than a caller to entice a gobbler to my position, I shall quit.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bill Cooksey

Quote from: 870FaceLift on April 14, 2016, 11:57:32 AM
I understand that a fan can invoke a gobbler's response, but as others have said, so do calls.  Personally, I have had decoys ruin more hunts than be an advantage.  I still use them when the situation is appropriate, and I will not rule out using a fan on private property.  It's interesting that this is gaining so much attention.  I first saw someone doing this 20+ years ago.  The gentleman I'm speaking of used it to close the distance between him and a gobbler with hens in the middle of a field.

Correct; it is far from new, but it has caught on in very recent years just as have decoys with full fans attached.