turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to trick the bird across a River

Started by BennieGobbler, April 13, 2016, 12:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennieGobbler

Anyone have any tips on how to get a bird to cross the River?

Heard 3 across the river a few days ago.  Had not luck getting them across and eventually worked their way the other direction.

Did call one across the river a few years ago...Aggressive calling a mouth call gobble or two!!

Thanks guys and gals!!
Print by Madison, on Flickr

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Chilly

Used a fan once and he flew straight over the boat and got himself killed.  1.5" spurs to boot!!!
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

coonhunter

I had the best luck calling them early on the roost.  Then they might fly off the roost across the river.  I called three jakes across a river one morning, just had to get really fired up with a couple different calls.  I also have had birds stand on the other bank and gobble their head off but would not fly across!
Joshua 24:15

Dr Juice

Quote from: Chilly on April 13, 2016, 12:59:27 PM
Used a fan once and he flew straight over the boat and got himself killed.  1.5" spurs to boot!!!
Awesome.

Greg Massey

So you can't cross the river with some kind of a boat or something..what kind of river are we talking about ?

BennieGobbler

I have a canoe but I am sure the other land owner would frown upon me on his property!!
Print by Madison, on Flickr

ilbucksndux

I run into a similar situation often. Public land bottom land with a creek( some would call it a deep water slough) that splits it. There is NO public access from the other side. In bow season the river/creek is shallow enough to cross,or find a place to cross but during the spring it is impossible. Dragging a small boat is the only option,but that would be a LOT of work for me. I have called them right up to the edge of the high bank ,but they just strut back and fourth and lose interest .
Gary Bartlow

Greg Massey

Get you a large tractor tire tube and a piece of plywood and racket strap it to the tube and get you a push pole and your ready to go.. nothing like finding ways to cross the river..   Can't you see we don't carry if the turkeys cross the river we just want to get you across that river.

TauntoHawk

for the public maybe chest wadders in a backpack?

You could try setting decoys up right in sight of the other side close to the bank in an open spot where they could land if they flew across. No sure fire way to make them cross other than make them want to lol
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

spaightlabs

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 13, 2016, 04:06:00 PM
Get you a large tractor tire tube and a piece of plywood and racket strap it to the tube and get you a push pole and your ready to go.. nothing like finding ways to cross the river..   Can't you see we don't carry if the turkeys cross the river we just want to get you across that river.

You take Greg's idea, but you put the hen deke on the platform.  Tie a rope to the tube, push it across.  When the old tom jumps onto the platform and starts strutting you pull him across nice and slow.

That's how you trick a tom across a river.

870FaceLift

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 13, 2016, 04:26:49 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on April 13, 2016, 04:06:00 PM

You take Greg's idea, but you put the hen deke on the platform.  Tie a rope to the tube, push it across.  When the old tom jumps onto the platform and starts strutting you pull him across nice and slow.

That's how you trick a tom across a river.

:TooFunny:
Pass it on...

Greg Massey

Now that's funny...but hey you never know what will work...ha ha ha

Bill Cooksey

If he's really hot and bothered and hammering on every call, sometimes the best thing to do is walk away. Walk away from him calling every now and then. I he stops gobbling sit down RIGHT THEN. It could mean he gave up and walked away too, but every now and then it also means he quit gobbling and flew your way. If he did, you'll know quick because he won't waste time. I've had it work twice, but it's not a situation I encounter very often.

dutch@fx4

I have had better luck calling them across the river in the evenings .set up a breeding hen and Jake decoys were the Tom can see them .he will come across if he sees the decoys. Dutch