turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pheasant Wings (for the fly-down)?

Started by Marc, April 12, 2016, 12:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I keep forgetting to save a couple pheasant wings from birds shot in the fall...  But I have friends who use pheasant wings instead of turkey wings for the fly-down...  Same shape, and make a similar sound, but a lot smaller and easier to carry (a pair takes up less space and weight than a single turkey wing).

Anyone else use pheasant wings for the fly-down?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

tomstopper

I don't but that doesn't sound like a bad idea.....

Dr Juice

I don't either but it can't hurt. Just don't forget the sequencing that goes along with a fly down like doing a fly down cackle. Good luck.

SinGin

I've seen guys just use their hat also.

quavers59

I do have some pheasant wings that I can use. I also made 2 pheasant wingbones! They sound like a very young hen turkey.

ilbucksndux

I use my hat......one less thing to carry
Gary Bartlow

Farmboy27

I don't use anything anymore. I used to carry a wing but now I just cackle and forget the flapping. I don't think it has hurt my "right of the roost" success at all. I don't think turkeys say "I heard that hen cackle but never heard her fly down. Something's not right here!" 

Marc

Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 12, 2016, 05:05:38 PM
I don't think turkeys say "I heard that hen cackle but never heard her fly down. Something's not right here!"

I do not think that they think cognitively about anything.  I believe they react to a hen yelp, cluck or purr somewhat instinctively.  We are just trying to kick those instincts into high gear...

I have seen birds dance around on those limbs like bobble-heads after doing a fly-down with a wing, and it is just one more sound to excite those birds.  Not something I do very often, but if I have a bird that hangs up every morning, it will give it a try, and it is the one sound that has made birds fly off the limb directly to me.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.