OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Evening hunting tactics …

Started by perrytrails, April 11, 2016, 05:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perrytrails

I'm not much of a evening hunter for turkey , I've only taken 2 birds in the evening. Both were near roost areas and I happen to get between a gobbler and his roost.

Just thought maybe a few might have some tips, set ups, or tactics that have worked for them in the past.

Happy

I have only killed one in the evening so I am not much of an expert. However I just sat in a known loafing spot and  called occasionally. They snuck in silently and I wouldn't have known if I hadn't heard them in the leaves. Maybe the birds around here are a little more tight lipped but I don't hear much evening gobbling. However I would suspect if I got one to sound off then odds would be good he would be workable.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

catman529

Have called a couple in the evening. Helps if you know there was a bird in the area earlier, or know where one likes to roost. Usually a lone tom that's looking for a hen to roost with.

turkey buster

This is the first year I've really tried to evening hunt. I have had decent success. Called in one to have two sneak in quiet from behind and bust me before the shot on the one that worked in. Another trip I worked one to 80 yards and he strutted a while but hung up. Same story with 2 more another day about 100 yards. Then I realized open areas are a no go and I needed to get closer to the roost or in the woods anyway. That resulted in a kill on a good bird that was mounting my hen decoy about 30 minutes before fly up.

From what I've seen limited yelps and clucks worked the best as far as working the turkeys. Cutting in the evening made them stand offish. Areas where birds roost or their first strut zones after fly down seem to have better activity. If you do try open areas or fields late in the day have a decoy as I didn't the two times I tried that method and I think that caused the hang ups.

Best advise I could give is be still. Them two that came in quiet haunts my dreams!!!  3 birds in range and never pulled the trigger that evening

greentag

i use to have a job where i could take many days off in the spring and i loved it,for the last 8 years or so i only get maybe 4 days to hunt mornings,so in order for me to tag out every year i usually have to do it in the evenings.it can be frustrating sometimes.what i have learned is you have to be there and really put the time in,by doing this you can learn where they like to go and be in the evenings,i usually dont get aggressive unless im trying to strike one,then ill cut at them but for me it seems that clucks and purrs works best with them just showing up silent alot.another thing that to watch for is crows,if you hear a bunch going crazy,chances are they are turkeys there,slip in close to where they are circling and raising cain and do some soft clucks.i kill alot of them like this.more times than not the crows are bikkering at the turkeys.if youve seen birds in the evening get in there before that time and set up and wait them out with purrs and maybe scratching in leaves every now and then,chances are they will be there again the next day at the same time.i dont like hunting in the evening as good as getting there early and listening to them hammer on a limb but you can still make the most of it and kill birds,evenings are when you really learn to be persistant and patient in the turkey woods,cause usually not alot going on and it happens quickly when it does.these are just a few things ive used to be successful over the years hope they may help someone,but def watch for crows raising cain.