OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

help recommend choke tube

Started by chadly, April 11, 2016, 05:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

I've been using the beads sights on my Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 with a full choke and Winchester Long Beards #5 3 1/2 shells the last few years.  For something different I thought it would be fun to try a scope on turkeys.  One of Remington 870's is fitted with red dot scope so I figure I would try it.  I went to the range with a full choke, 28in barrel, and did some shooting.  At 30 yards the pattern was really getting big.  So big it could possibly miss the head and neck.  I would like to be able to shoot 40 yards.  I also don't want a pattern so tight that I have to make a perfect shot.  I've read many reviews and have spoke to some people who said it was easy to miss birds under 25 yards with certain chokes as they are so tight.  I see Remington sells an extended turkey tube for only $30.  Anyone ever use one?

Greg Massey

Get you a undertaker non-ported choke..665

Gooserbat

For the budget minded hunter the NP Undertaker is a great choke, so is a Carlsons.  I personally use Jebs.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

chadly

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 11, 2016, 05:38:59 PM

I just looked at that choke on the Bass Pro sight.  $25.  Thanks.  I love the 3rd review on their sight.  LOL.

870FaceLift

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 11, 2016, 05:38:59 PM

+1 for the undertaker.  That has been a proven combo over time in my 870, as well.
Pass it on...