turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Did somebody feed me a line....

Started by WNCTracker, April 11, 2016, 03:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

Guy I work with just told me that he usually puts a crow decoy about 30 yards from his hen decoys because it puts gobblers at ease when they see a wary crow on the ground.  I thought crows and turkeys weren't friends, and even if they were, would such a thing really have any kind of impact on anything.  Seems far fetched but I've been wrong many times before.  Anybody ever heard of this....?

101st501

I've never heard of that, but I would do almost anything to give myself an edge.

Gooserbat

It's plausible but I don't think turkeys use that much reasoning.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TRG3

My experience with crows is that they like to caw in an irritating way toward my turkey decoys, so I'm reluctant to feel that a crow decoy would set real birds as ease. If I were to carry another decoy, it would be a hen in the feeding position which should indicate a relaxed state to the real gobbler.

Dr Juice

I never heard of that so enjoy. Let us how you make out.

hobbes

I've seen so called "confidence" decoys for waterfowlers,  but haven't heard of it for turkeys.  I can't imagine a crow would instill more confidence than a lifelike turkey decoy.  I don't doubt that your buddy uses one, but there is all kind of nonsense being promoted and used out there.

Greg Massey

I sure hope crows and turkeys never get alone. The old crow helps in getting that gobbler to gobble so i know were he is sometimes. For me you call tell for sure a crow and turkeys are not friends just look at how many times a crow has gotten turkeys killed ... ha ha ha ha..

VaBoy

Not trying to offend anyone , but leave your decoys in the truck and get down to hunting turkeys. I have been at this game a long time and we use to kill a lot of turkeys before we had decoys or before they were legal. I'm as guilty as anyone , I have them and I use them at times , but just this past weekend I found myself being drug down by them . Hesitant to move because I would have to pull up the dekes and re-set up instead of jumping up and making the move I needed to . Again , not trying to offend anyone , I just think we have become way to dependent on dekes to pull birds in for us instead of using good woodsmanship . Just my .02

Greg Massey

O PLEASE...NOT THE DECOY THING AGAIN...LOL.........

Mike Honcho

Kind of the reverse but I have a friend who puts a turkey decoy in proximity to his tree stand when deer hunting with a bow ...his reasoning is it puts deer at ease thinking deer know turkeys are so wary.

I personally don't know if it works for him.

Sorry this was off topic on turkeys!

perrytrails

Quote from: Mike Honcho on April 11, 2016, 05:20:53 PM
Kind of the reverse but I have a friend who puts a turkey decoy in proximity to his tree stand when deer hunting with a bow ...his reasoning is it puts deer at ease thinking deer know turkeys are so wary.

I personally don't know if it works for him.

Sorry this was off topic on turkeys!
I've heard that too...

Gobble!

Happy

Not a big decoy user but here are my thoughts... If a turkey is smart enough to look around and notice that you don't have a crow decoy nearby and uses that as a deal-breaker on whether or not he approaches then I would suspect that he would also be observant enough to notice that they don't move and only have one leg. That sir is a turkey I don't want any parts of.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

WNCTracker

Quote from: mlisandro on April 11, 2016, 04:15:56 PM
I never heard of that so enjoy. Let us how you make out.
Oh no, I'm not considering it!  I just wanted to know if he was full of it. I'm, for one, looking into a parrot for my shoulder