turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Did somebody feed me a line....

Started by WNCTracker, April 11, 2016, 03:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

Send me a crow decoy and I'll try it. If the Primos team can kill them in the wide open wearing lime green shirts surely I can kill one with a flock of crow decoys! :TooFunny:

SteelerFan

Quote from: Happy on April 11, 2016, 05:52:44 PM
Not a big decoy user but here are my thoughts... If a turkey is smart enough to look around and notice that you don't have a crow decoy nearby and uses that as a deal-breaker on whether or not he approaches then I would suspect that he would also be observant enough to notice that they don't move and only have one leg. That sir is a turkey I don't want any parts of.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 11, 2016, 04:02:44 PM
It's plausible but I don't think turkeys use that much reasoning.

:agreed:

Spitten and drummen

Not a big decoy user but here are my thoughts... If a turkey is smart enough to look around and notice that you don't have a crow decoy nearby and uses that as a deal-breaker on whether or not he approaches then I would suspect that he would also be observant enough to notice that they don't move and only have one leg. That sir is a turkey I don't want any parts of.
Post of the year. Well played lol
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wvmntnhick

Don't use up all the good ones before getting to camp next week. I'll have nothing to laugh at otherwise. Was probably a good thing I'd finished my drink prior to reading that though.

Hookinembig

I see crows in our food plots with turkeys all the time and they don't seem to mind.

FlyFishNut

Actually I carry a whole menagerie of decoys and make sort of huge wildlife scene.  Couple crows, 3-4 bunnies, a fawn and if the birds are really on edge I'll put some turtles out.

It's kind of a hassle to pull up all of these critters when you have to move.

MK M GOBL

Always confuses me on the whole decoy debate... I would guess some of this is determined by "where" and "what" you are hunting. I have set plenty of goose decoys out in  picked, plowed or mowed fields... I would guess when geese hear other geese and fly over said field they would expect to see geese in that field (decoys). Now I will say I generally hunt fields in my area and as one might expect... a turkey hears another turkey in a field and when said turkey comes to that field it would expect to see another turkey (decoy). I guess I am trying to represent a natural scene, what the turkey expects to see. Now in the timber, unless it pastured or extremely open I don't use a decoy for that setup as a tom comes in looking for that hen in the timber... I do run & gun with my decoys as well, takes no time at all to set 2 DSD's.

So back to the original question would I place a crow decoy for confidence... No, I have confidence in my DSD's.

MK M GOBL

Happy

Mntnhick. If I am there then there will be plenty to laugh at.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

OldSchool

He may very well use a crow decoy and he may actually think it helps. Personally, I've got my doubts that it would do much good.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

lmbhngr

I've had better luck without dekes

grayfox

He can use a crow decoy but I'm sticking with my new Smokey Baby & Squealing Hen. I know this works cause I seen on TV. LOL 

I honestly couldn't say it would help or hurt but I'm not going out & buying a new crow decoy & try it to see. Maybe some of you other more experienced turkey hunters will try it & let us know the results.

Marc

As Hobbes points out, we call them confidence decoys when watefowl hunting...  Guys use all sorts of confidence decoys for duck hunting, and I will admit that coot decoys probably do work (but that is because large rafts of coots are probably an indication of a good food source).

For turkeys a blue heron decoy with a couple of pink lawn flamingos will work wonders...  And if someone sneaks in on ya, and shoots those, you need to find somewhere else to hunt.

Personally, I just do not need to haul any more crap into the field.  I am already thinking of investing in a good wheelbarrow to take out all the stuff I already do not need.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

tomstopper

Quote from: FlyFishNut on April 11, 2016, 08:15:36 PM
Actually I carry a whole menagerie of decoys and make sort of huge wildlife scene.  Couple crows, 3-4 bunnies, a fawn and if the birds are really on edge I'll put some turtles out.

It's kind of a hassle to pull up all of these critters when you have to move.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Sam Crow

Just an observation I've made over the years.  Crows harass turkeys BUT they also use them to their advantage.  I've often watched them harass the turkeys all the way to the field but when the turkey reach the field the crows go quiet and will often join the turkeys on the ground.  I've also noticed that when crows are feeding in a field on their own there is usually a sentry posted in a tree nearby.  When they're feeding with turkeys in the same field they often do not post a sentry, relying on the turkeys to sound the alarm if danger is present.  I don't think a crow decoy would harm the set-up just not sure if it would enhance it

Tunaguy

"Actually I carry a whole menagerie of decoys and make sort of huge wildlife scene.  Couple crows, 3-4 bunnies, a fawn and if the birds are really on edge I'll put some turtles out.

It's kind of a hassle to pull up all of these critters when you have to move."

LOL-What no Moose?
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx