OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What are some tidbits you have learned from the forums here?

Started by Marc, April 10, 2016, 05:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I have always been a waterfowl hunter and took a bit of a sabbatical from turkey hunting.  Getting back into it, I discovered this forum...

Here are some things I directly related to turkey hunting that I have learned.

•   Discovered some great call makers whose calls are now in my vest.  (Gooserbat, Hooks, Spring Creek)
•   Realized I have been over-calling.  I call less and consciously utilize a bit more patience while turkey hunting.
•   Have a better understanding of some turkey behavior.  (Such as gobblers sitting on the roost so long waiting for the hen  to show when I over-call to them on the roost).
•   Breaking off plastic forks to separate the latex in my diaphragm calls, providing for longer lasting calls that sound better.
•   Realized there were two notes to a yelp on a diaphragm call, and have since incorporated such into my calling.
•   Found some great links posted on using a mouth call, which have helped to improve my calling.
•   Realized that an awful lot of good hunters have made the same mistakes I make every hunt.

And the act of thinking about my own responses in any given discussion helps me to analyze my own techniques, strategies and ethics in my hunting endeavors.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

wvmntnhick

Well, the biggest thing I've learned is that not all turkey calls are sold at cabelas, gander mountain or dicks sporting goods. Also learned that buying one is a lot like opening a bag of Lays potato chips.

Spitten and drummen

I met alot of great guys and aquired more custom turkey calls than I could use in 3 lifetimes. Yeah , it caused a incurable disease lol.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

People on this forum take turkey hunting serious and will help you anyway they can from calls to putting together a turkey gun and just general all around opinions on turkey hunting..

Triple Gobble

I have learned of some great call makers,
What a really good turkey pattern should be like.  Also
Learned of some great choke makers, now own
A couple like Indian Creek and Sumtoy.  Also
Learned that I too over call at turkeys, although
I have killed several, but the last 2 years I've been
On this forum, I've killed more turkey consistently.  I now
An hooked more than ever and in current pursuit of
A slam.  Talked to some great guys on here, call makers and
Hunters.  But the thing I've learned the most on here
Is this is a great group of guys, who are knowledgeable and
Willing to give great advice.  Not like on some other
Forums I'm on.   :bible:
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

Happy

I think overall it's just been  the ability to converse with some people who are as passionate about turkey hunting as I am. The only thing that comes close is bow hunting. Custom calls have put a dent in my wallet and I am sure they will continue to. It's good to pick up different strategies and have a heartfelt discussion about different issues and it also will help me pass the time until next season.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

wmn2

I've learned that there are people out there that are actually willing to help a newbie like myself. I've hunted deer for a long time, but on my first turkey season now. Learned how to build a good turkey gun, how to run a diaphragm and other calls. Learned about the custom calls that can be had and I've been buying them as fast as I can, lol. I've also had one person specifically that was nice enough to clue me in on some public spots around me to try and help me get my first bird, which I've never come close to seeing on any other forum at all. I hardly even log into other forums now just because the bickering and the "this is better than that" crap gets old so fast. I like when people are just as excited for me for doing something as they would be for themselves.

g8rvet

Good thread! 

I think there are two things that most stand out for me. 

1) A really good, consistent pattern for turkey hunting.  I would shoot a target, count the kills and think I was fine.  Don't even much use turkey targets anymore.  Maybe one for fun.  Seeing a nice 10" circle makes more sense.  Immense help in getting my 20 set up to be a turkey killer.  Have fired it 3 times, and 3 dead birds. 

2) Over calling/Patience. I knew sometimes I was guilty and some birds would only "respond" to aggressive calling. But some of those birds did not die, so did they really "respond".  Well, they did not in the way I want them to!  Part of this coincided with me doing more field hunting and watching it take a gobbler 30 minutes to cover 100 yards (and sometimes take 5 minutes).  Both birds were gonna come in, but when I first started hunting, if I did not hear the bird after 30 minutes, I often assumed he had lost interest and left. Wonder how many birds I bumped without even knowing it!  Really second guess your self if you are new on this point.  I was killing birds, but was not finishing birds at a rate I should have been.  Too many "hung up" birds.  I look back and wonder how many of those birds would have finished had I been a lot more patient. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Dr Juice

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 10, 2016, 05:36:28 PM
Well, the biggest thing I've learned is that not all turkey calls are sold at cabelas, gander mountain or dicks sporting goods. Also learned that buying one is a lot like opening a bag of Lays potato chips.
... you just can't have one!  :funnyturkey:

Gooserbat

As a call maker I've learned that today's customer is a very informed individual and the internet presence is not only enjoyable but opens up so many doors and friendships.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TRG3

There were some helpful links, mainly to YouTube videos that I'd missed in prior searches for such.

Gobble!

TSS and there are calls out there other than what is in the Cabelas magazine.

TauntoHawk

I found out I have a terrible disease with no know treatment or antidote that isn't covered under any issuance.... its an addiction to custom calls  :emoticon-animal-005:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

nosaj

Tunaguy

Patience
How to properly pattern a gun
Patience
How to polish a bore
Patience
How to treat every situation differently-not get in a rut
Patience
Decoy setup
Patience
Calling refinement
Patience
Run n gun tactics
Patience1
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx