OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many of you guys...

Started by Happy, April 10, 2016, 05:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

How many of you guys have never killed a bird someone else has called in for you? It just hit me the other day that every bird I have killed has been my doing. Don't thint it's good or bad but I am wondering if I am primarily alone on this one. Have called in plenty of birds for others just not the other way around. It's probably for the best though as I am pretty critical when it comes to calling. My way is always better. Ha ha. That and most of my hunting when I want to shoot is solo. So what say ye?

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

OldSchool

You're not alone, I've never shot a bird called by somebody else either. I've introduced several people to turkey hunting over the years, but other than that, I've always hunted alone.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

ilbucksndux

I have never killed one someone else called in for me. There has been several times that some friends and I have talked about hunting like that ,but it has not happened yet. Other than hunting with the boys I would rather be alone in the turkey woods,I really dont know why.
Gary Bartlow

wvmntnhick

Nope. Not me. Never have I had anyone call a bird for me.

Wait, err, ummm... Maybe a few times. Actually, I've called several. Had several called in to me. Never seen any harm in it. Whether I'm calling or someone else is calling, the end result is generally the same. Someone pulls the trigger and we either high five each other for a bit or we head back to the camp with the district smell of disappointment oozing from every available pore in our bodies. Hahaha.

Last year I called in 12 birds but only killed one and it was actually one that a buddy of mine blew the fears out of about 2 minutes before I pulled the trigger. The others either didn't give me a shot or were on other properties. Well, except the one I missed. Twice at that. (See the trend here?) the year before I called in 7 jakes and one gobbler in one morning. Had three of the jakes in spitting distance but the longbeard stayed away so all got a pass. Called five more jakes back to me later in the morning. No longbeard in sight so I smoked one of them. Later that year I'd called in 8 gobblers in one morning. Had a group of 5, group of 2 and a single. Again, none of them truly wanted to play so all walked away unscathed. And yet again, the year before that, I'd called in the largest of my life and got him at 40 yards only to kill the second largest bird of my life 2 days later on the same farm at 35 yards. Calling them isn't generally the issue. Getting them to fully commit when they know they should see a hen and then getting them killed when they do is my largest issue. Don't want to toot my own horn here but my calling has vastly improved the past several years.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Happy on April 10, 2016, 05:02:15 PM
Have called in plenty of birds for others just not the other way around. It's probably for the best though as I am pretty critical when it comes to calling. My way is always better. Ha ha. That and most of my hunting when I want to shoot is solo. So what say ye?

This will be the case for me as well. I have a buddie who I don't get to hunt with that much any more. He is very good,a great wing man. Patient,sits still,knows when and when not to move. Practices great woodsman ship. His calling skills are ok. You really don't have to be great at calling,but it definitely helps. But you need the whole package.  Even though I like to think my way is better,I keep my ego in check  :lol: I always remain humbl! I'm definitely not a game hog. When the chips are down and it's getting ready to happen,I usually always let the other person shoot. Unless the bird is getting spooky,then I'm on him. I don't think anyone has ever called one up for me. On a couple of occasions,I couldn't get them going. And whoever I was with did. But I put the finishing touches on him. Sometimes I'm just lucky
:turkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Gobbler2577

Hadn't thought about it before, but I haven't.  I tried years ago to get someone to take me, even have an uncle that is likely the best turkey hunter I've ever known.  No one wanted a tag along.  The uncle told me to go buy every turkey video I could and learn that way.  What he didn't tell me is our Mississippi turkeys aren't like those movie star turkeys.  He knew there was a lot of extra calling and product promotion in the videos and I'd rarely if ever kill a bird by mimicking what I watched.  After two years I finally figured out less is usually more and begin to regularly kill birds.  I'd never tell him, but I'm the better for it.  Learned to make decisions based on each bird and not depend on someone else.  But in all honesty, I wouldn't have a problem shooting one someone else worked in.

catman529

I think I got all my own birds. Some were stalked and ambushed, especially in the fall, but I don't remember anyone ever calling me up a turkey. I too like to do it my own way. I've called in a couple for other people though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Every bird I have ever killed , I called in. Now I have taken quite a few people and called them birds to their gun. Back when I started turkey hunting in the late 70s , the turkey hunters then didn't care to share their secrets. My grandpa took me when I was too young to shoot but passed before I got old enough.  I learned a little from him but like I said I was very young. I went through the school of hard knocks and was self taught. We didn't have all these videos and Internet so learning was much slower. Last year I broke the 100th bird that I pulled the trigger on. I don't know how many I called that other people took but it's probably at least half that if not more.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

tomstopper

Quote from: OldSchool on April 10, 2016, 05:15:04 PM
You're not alone, I've never shot a bird called by somebody else either. I've introduced several people to turkey hunting over the years, but other than that, I've always hunted alone.

Bob
^^^This. Have called in many for youths and friends but have never had any called in for me.

Ozark870Hunter

I'd rather call than shoot. That's my favorite part!
Grew up with deer hunters.
My very first turkey hunt my buddy and I decided he would be the shooter and I would be the caller. Well at the first sign of light I was calling too much, complete novice, zero expectation of seeing a bird and 20 mins after legal shooting light sure enough a big silent tom strutted right in, and my buddy got him. Thought I had this turkey stuff down.
I can call turkeys all day!
Haha!
It was 4 long years till I called in one and got my first. Very humbling indeed.
I've since learned to call proficiently and have called in more for others than I have for myself. Just finished calling for my buddy's daughter during youth weekend. 2 called in and 2 misses. That's how it goes.
I've yet to have someone call for me.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

Farmboy27

I think I only shot 1 that someone else did all the calling. But I've shot plenty that someone else did some of the calling. My best friend and I hunt together a lot and have been doing it since we were kids. Lots of times we both call to a bird and if it seems to like on of us more than the other then that guy finishes him and the other does the shooting. I know lots of guys take a lot of pride in never having any help. I'd rather have the memories of shared hunts with great friends.

2eagles

I haven't been turkey hunting all that many years, so this is easier to understand. Not only have I called in all of my birds, no one has even seen me shoot a bird. And last year was the first time I called in a turkey for another hunter to shoot. That happened to be my sons first turkey. That was a thrill for sure!

Cutt

Never had anyone call for me, and never would have any call for me. Don't have a problem calling for someone if they want that, but I'd rather do my own, it's what makes my hunt. With someone else calling,it just wouldn't be as gratifying to me.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 10, 2016, 07:02:08 PM
I'd rather have the memories of shared hunts with great friends.

^^^^^^ Right on to this my OG brother!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott