OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many of you guys...

Started by Happy, April 10, 2016, 05:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 10, 2016, 08:24:46 PM
Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 10, 2016, 07:02:08 PM
I'd rather have the memories of shared hunts with great friends.

^^^^^^ Right on to this my OG brother!

Heck yeah. That's what it's about right there.

silvestris

Called every gobbler I killed.  Called a good number for others.  Never "introduced" anyone to the sport.  There are too many people out there already.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Spurs

Introduced a couple of people to the craziness and was brought into it by my dad.  Got super lucky with my first bird at 12, but I called it in by self when he left me to go start supper at the camp.  Never had anyone even near me when I kill a bird....I keep my secrets close to the chest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!

SteelerFan

When I was a young gun, I started hunting birds in the fall with my father. One day on a ridge in WV, we split up and he happened upon a flock. He killed a bird and scattered the rest. He told me where to go set up, and I did.

I sat at the base of that tree and commenced to Yelp, Yelp, yelping on my little slate and peg. Minutes later, a bird answered and started towards me. I can remember like it was yesterday my next series of calls... hands trembling like a dog crapping razor blades, I managed to squawk out another series of yelps and the bird walked into view / range. I shot, and the bird tumbled and flopped (to which I promptly dumped another round of 3" mag 4's into the body - oops! Haha).

Since that day, every bird killed I have called in. I've called in as many, if not more, for others - but never had one called for me. Probably a little obsessive compulsive on my part, more than anything.

born2hunt

On my very first hunt, a buddy called for me. It meant nothing to me and really did not excite me. Since then I have called in every bird I have killed and several for others. The game is all about the calling for me, the shooting is the easy part.

These days I don't even know anyone ''personally'' that I would let call for me. I am very passionate about this sport and none my friends really put any heart in it.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

perrytrails

I've got a true hunting buddy. We rib each other a lot over things, spent many a morning chasing ol toms.
A lot of good memories. 

Now he loves the sport as much as I do, but maybe not quite the passion.

He's a good woodsman, knows when and what to do in certain situations, sometimes we read each other's minds.

He's really good on a pot call, and we hit about the hottest bird I think we ever ran into, I had a hard time doing it but I didn't call, I let him run the whole show. It was the first bird someone had ever called in for me.

I truly think that was a huge confidence builder for him, many times before that he would let me do most of or all the calling.

I had one other bird called in for me, a special one. My 13 year old step daughter took a interest in hunting with me.

We were hunting a late season day, full foliage and the gobbling was very minimal that week.

No bird to set up on that morning so we hit my favorite ridge top and set up. I started handing her pot calls and she went to town. Not much going on so I let her have some fun.

At one point, she just stopped. I looked at her and she whispered here they come...

4 jakes were in a race to get to us 60 yards away. Now I don't usually take a Jake, I want to hear that blabber mouth 2 year old the next season.

She had her gun laying beside her and couldn't move. When I realized that, there was no way I was passing on one of those Jake birds.

A special memory in the turkey woods, I'll never forget!

Dr Juice

All of the above. I have hunted with my cousin since the beginning of my addiction and we have called in birds for each other. At the end of the day, the memory of the hunt is what counts.

GobbleNut

Yes, I have had others call in birds for me.  Almost all have been by friends that I taught how to turkey hunt and call.  Anymore, seeing the pride on their faces when they call in a bird on their own is more important to me than being able to say that I did the calling.

I'll tell you another thing about letting other people call.  You learn pretty quickly that what you think a gobbler wants to hear and come to is quite often meaningless.  By letting others call when hunting together, I have learned that gobblers will come to calling that any of you that only do our own calling would never think they would come to. 

It will take the wind out of your sails pretty rapidly when you finally come to understand that it is often not your great calling that makes a bird come to a call, but many times its just the bird and its attitude at the time.

Hooksfan

Never had thought about it, but I can't remember ever having one called in for me.  Guess I am kind of particular as well.  In fact, my brother is the only one  that I ever hunt with that I don't mind if he calls, but we tag team it.  The rest of the folks I take, the understanding is that their calls stay in their pockets or the truck.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 11, 2016, 09:03:19 AM

I'll tell you another thing about letting other people call.  You learn pretty quickly that what you think a gobbler wants to hear and come to is quite often meaningless.  By letting others call when hunting together, I have learned that gobblers will come to calling that any of you that only do our own calling would never think they would come to. 

It will take the wind out of your sails pretty rapidly when you finally come to understand that it is often not your great calling that makes a bird come to a call, but many times its just the bird and its attitude at the time.

Amen to that. There have been birds that have come to sounds that I'd question were even turkey. My cousin can't call worth a lick but I can recall a day when we were younger that we had called to a distant tom only to have him answer my cousin but wouldn't reply to me at all. His calling was nails on a chalk board. Mine wasn't stellar at that time but it was decidedly better. That was a unanimous decision btw.

mikejd

I have had a bird or 2 called in for me. But these where no planned hunts. I hunt primarily hunt with my brother and father. We don't hunt together per say however we are always away at camp together.
On Accasionally we meet up in the woods. On a slow day we have walked together Accasionally making a call to see if we can spark something up. Most of the time I do all the calling however there has been times my brother wants to make a call or 2. So there has been a time or 2 that my brother has sparked a bird where I was not able. Obviously we immediately  set up. Since the bird liked his call or calling we just roll with it. Tons of fun when this happens and we are together.

Bill Cooksey

Best I can recall, I never have. But, I'd have no problem doing so. The many times I've hunted with someone I'd consider a better hunter and caller (yes, I wrote "many times"), it's been a situation where I was their guide. Sometimes I did most of the calling for them, and other times they did it on their own once I got us in position. Really enjoyed and learned a lot on those hunts. Amazing how much it is to process and analyze what's taking place when you have a backseat to the party.

WildTigerTrout

I killed one years ago called in by a friend. We were running and gunning late in the morning. We took turns calling trying to get a bird to go off. A gobbler finally answered my friend's box call. We sat up with me in front and him behind calling and about 20 minutes later I was walking out with the bird. Longest bearded gobbler I have killed to date, 11 1/2". All the other birds I have called in myself and I have also called in birds for other hunters too. I enjoy the calling more than the shooting!!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Gooserbat

Come to think of it I've not ever had anyone else solely call one for me.  Now I've had a few who were called by both myself and a friend. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Marc

Never killed a bird someone else called in...

I would probably rather call in a bird for someone else than shoot a bird someone else called in...  Frankly, I would rather do both though, which is why I generally hunt alone when I am actually trying to kill a bird for myself.

Calling in a bird for someone new to turkey hunting is fun and exciting, and I will likely enjoy calling in some birds for my two girls when they are old enough.  But going hunting with one of my buddies that turkey hunts to have one of us kill a bird does not appeal to me.  Sitting still for a long time (not talking), with one caller and one shooter just does not make sense to me.  Either way, hunting with someone takes away half the fun for me.

Until my kids go into the field with me, turkey hunting is pure "me-time."
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.