turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tagged out in S Carolina!!

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 10, 2016, 03:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayfox

Great story! Congrats on a nice bird too.

kyturkeyhunter4

Tunaguy

" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Champ63

Marc

Great story, and nice fowling piece...

I have my grandfather's gun, and have thought about putting it to use for turkeys...  What loads did you you shoot through it?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

Very nice Jim.  The gun made the hunt.  I know that meant a lot. Your Dad was watching for sure. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

born2hunt

Good going with the ole gun...must have been a special moment.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Gooserbat

Not bad.  I just picked morels and walked my tail off chasing toms that would rather love hens than blow up dolls.  Oh yeah did I mention I picked morels.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 13, 2016, 12:12:30 AM
Not bad.  I just picked morels and walked my tail off chasing toms that would rather love hens than blow up dolls.  Oh yeah did I mention I picked morels.
Yes, you did indeed!!  :lol:  I'm very jealous!!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Marc on April 12, 2016, 12:34:21 AMI have my grandfather's gun, and have thought about putting it to use for turkeys...  What loads did you you shoot through it?
I used a friend's recommendation. I have the factory full choke in the barrel. I'm shooting the 2-3/4" Federal Premium Heavyweight #7's with the Flite Control wad. Throws a pretty decent pattern. I would shoot at a gobbler out to 45 yards with that set up.

RutnNStrutn

Thanks guys!! Finally getting a gobbler with my Dad's gun was definitely a very special moment for me. I could feel Pop there with me. Sure wish he really was.

surehuntsalot

awesome hunt and very cool on getting your dad's gun back and taking "him" hunting with you :icon_thumright:
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Hookinembig

Great hunt, awesome spurs and bird. Way to go on tagging out.

THattaway

Congrats to you. Weren't you the same fella who had a dismal SC season in 2015, posted here about no birds etc? Reckon the limit reduction fixed all that this year, made those 19 jakes I've called in so far just magically appear. LOL!
To borrow from Rick Marshall (Will Ferrell), Charles Ruth can suck it!

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,56416.0/topicseen.html
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

RutnNStrutn

Indded, that was me!! Good memory!! :z-winnersmiley:
Amazing the difference one year makes! I saw lots of jakes and hens on that property last year, worked some gobblers but never even saw one. This year I didn't have to hunt many times to tag out, and saw more gobblers than I harvested, along with more jakes and hens. Looking forward to next season on that place!! :icon_thumright:
I sure wish they hadn't dropped the bag limit from 5 to 3. I could have used those extra 2 tags this season!! :lol: ;D