OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

question on Turpin style boxes

Started by jed clampett, April 09, 2016, 09:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jed clampett

I see on some posts that people don't like Turpin style boxes because they are difficult to play..what makes this style difficult?..i don't have any and was just wondering..thanks for any replies

KentuckyHeadhunter

They don't have a spring between the lid.  I can play a longbox just fine (which doesn't have a spring either) but these seem more finicky to me.  Billy Buice told me you are actually supposed to pick up the lid when you retract it.  I think they were also intended to be played "upside down".  I would love to get better tips on playing one because I have a good one from Billy!
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

hunter22

Richard Hudson can run one about as good as I have heard. Lid manipulation is the key.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I think it is more a matter of what you are used to.  I have had one of Richard's hen boxes since last summer, got some early coaching on running them from Richard, and feel just as comfortable with that style now.  Actually prefer it.   Love the old hen yawk sound too.

SS Calls

To me the main thing is to push forward a little on the paddle to take the slack out of the screw hole and cant the paddle inward toward the sound chamber. Then just stroke it with wrist motion mostly. Basically let the paddle do the work.

jed clampett

I do appreciate the replies guys...i have also seen some guys that have switched an prefer the Turpin style....i may have to get one before next year's turkey adventures and try one out.....does anyone have any suggestions on who makes a good one and does the woods in this style box differ for sound or is it just a matter of preference

SS Calls

I would contact Richard Hudson to answer your questions about the woods, and to build a call for you. My daughter has a couple from him and both are top notch players.

Hooksnhorns

I have a macasser ebony over team from Richard Hudson, and I love that box. You can get 2 or 3 hens out of each side of the box, according on how you cant the lid, and where on the rail you play it. It just takes practice. You HAVE to practice with it to get good on it. But, once you can play one well, they really work great. They have alot of "yawk" to them. Mine can be played to have alot of rasp on the back end played loud or some rasp played soft. You can also "clean yelp" on it easily. Like I said, I love mine ( So do turkeys), and it would take a considerable amount of money to get it. When I play it for folks that are good turkey hunters, they wanna know where I got it, who made it, etc. They sound nothing like a regular box, or play like one. Every serious turkey hunter owes it to himself to have one.
Don't Tread On Me

Will

At the bottom of the forum I've post pictures and sound files of Richards hen boxes and Turpins. I can't say enough about them. They sound and play different. You can't go wrong with Richards. They sound all turkey. I have some that sound old hen, a lot of rasp and I have one that sounds a little on the high end. As a kid I used a Lynch one sider and a Roger Latham Turpin so I like both and think both styles provide different sounds. I can tell you there have been days where all they like is a Hudson call and days that all they like is one of my Watkins  calls. Richard will talk you through the learning curve of using one. Like it was said before, every serious turkey hunter owes it to themselves to have one.

jed clampett

Will...you sent me a bunch of sound files and of Richards turpins...that and reading other comments about Turpin boxes is what got me thinking about them...i do appreciate it...i will have one ..and practice alot for sure

strutnrut

The Turpin style call isn't meant to be run upside down. I think Al's post covered the running pretty much. Tension between the screw and the lid is key in producing some of the sound but to get the raspy sound I run with less tension. Even though the call will run in the front of the call I prefer to run the backside of the call myself. I run with the paddle/lid canted into the call and flick my wrist (like trying to sweep something off the edge of a table) . This will help with that last bottom note of the yelp (yalk). When canting the lid upward and running the edge I pull back tension on the lid and produce the cleaner higher notes. Running the call both way back and forth will produce two different turkeys or different tones. I will call one way and answer in the other. When cutting I hold the back of the call in the palm of my hand with the last to finger over the handle and lay my thumb on the back of the paddle and slap the paddle letting the lid bounce off my thumb. You can also produce a flydown in the same manner using a different cadence.
This style of call isn't meant for everyone and takes practice to learn how to run the call to get the full potential
This one liked the call a lot at first but I think he changed his mind  just a second to late.

WillowRidgeCalls

The biggest difference between a Cost style call and a Gibson, Hen box, or Turpin, is that a Cost style call plays itself. The angle of the rails are matched to the shape of the paddle, so all you have to do is open and close the lid to make the call change pitches. On an old style call the rails are straight up an down, so you yourself have to change the contact point of the paddle to the rail. You do that by twisting your wrist to roll the paddle over the rail, just like opening a door knob. You can hold the paddle firmly and play the outside, the top or the inside of the rail, but once you learn the timing of you wrist twists you'll get a very realistic sound out of an old style call. A well made call will have 4-5 different birds in each rail. Be careful, once you learn to play a call that way, or you'll almost tare the lid off a Cost style call when you go to play one  ;D.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

joker

I have one of Richards hen boxes and it is a great call. He is a great guy also, had a good time talking to him over the phone. I however did not find his hen box hard to play at all. It took me about five minutes to get great turkey sounds. The thing is that it is such a good call and there are so many ways to run it, I don't think it is a hard call to run at all. It just takes some more time to get all you can out of the call because it can make so many different calls.

Steve

M Sharpe

Richard makes a mighty fine hen box!! I've got quite a few of them and NEVER  go to the woods with out one....or two!!! Never had any problem playing them. I love the sound of them.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

strutnrut

Thanks guys for all of the kind words.  :thanks: :thanks: