turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas Bird on the Ground

Started by KS-Hoyt-Hunter, April 08, 2016, 07:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KS-Hoyt-Hunter

Shot my first Rio with my bow this morning. My wife worked last night so I was home with our 9 month old daughter. She got home around 8 and I took off. Got to my blind just before 9 only to find the ridiculous Kansas winds of the past few days had blown it over. To make matters worse this guy, another strutter and 5 hens were in the field about 300 yards out. Just decided to go for it and set my blind back up. Then belly crawled out to set my Avian decoys out. The birds were still there when I was done. Then the farmer came out and drove all around the field on his 4 wheeler. The birds left and went into the creek. So I just settled in and waited for a while for it to calm down. About a half hour later they came back out in the same spot. So I started up on the box call. Got a couple gobbles back. He then saw the dekes and came running. Along with the rest of the birds. The strutters hung up about 60 yards across the property line. Then they crossed and skirted me at about the same distance. The hens came in but neither longbeard. After a few minutes they moved on away from me. Called a couple more times and no response. So I settled back in. Then out of nowhere about 10 minutes later this guy came out. Didn't make a sound and came in exactly in line with my blind spot. All the sudden he was just there. I grabbed by bow and shot him at 11 yards. He was facing me when I shot. The Spitfire Maxx ate him up. No flipping or flopping. He just dropped dead. 9" beard and .75" spurs. I was going to take some better pics before I left but totally forgot until I had already cut him up. O well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

congrats ,  :icon_thumright: Bows kills are always neat.

SteelerFan

Mike Honcho

Greg Massey

nosaj

SinGin

mgm1955

tomstopper

beagler

Never Misses

KS-Hoyt-Hunter

Well got another one this morning with my bow. Came in to the dekes and then decided he didn't really like what was going on. He skirted them to my right. But didn't skirt far enough. Once again those Spitfire Maxx's did a number. He just dropped and flapped his swings twice and was dead. 10" beard with 1 and 1/8" spurs. My turkey season is over. I'm headed to Missouri in a couple weeks. I'll only be there the first week so I can only shoot one. Hunting with my dad. He said he's been seeing a couple huge ones. So we will see what happens!

wvhoyt19

Congrats!!

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy