turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

ID'ing a bird by his gobble

Started by 2eagles, April 08, 2016, 01:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

I have only heard one bird I could Identify by sound alone. He had a high pitched gobble.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

catman529

Theres a tom I worked multiple times last year that I called Mr Jake Gobble because he had a high pitched gobble, but was a longbeard. The first time I called him in, my gun wasn't ready. He got to about 20 yards in the undergrowth before I saw the beard, but then he busted me and went running off. I got on him a couple more times that season, and a buddy of mine also tried to work him. He stayed on private while I would sit about 30 yards from the boundary and try to call him in. It only worked the first time, and I blew it. But he had a distinct gobble.

Gooserbat

I've seen a couple of birds over the years that had very distinct gobbles.  Must though sound like turkeys.  Jake's do sound different unless meriams.  They sound the same to me.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

augasman

Only one, but he had a very distinct gobble. When he would get really fired up, he would gobble a bout 4 times in a row. On the last one he would stretch it about 2 extra seconds. I thought I was gonna spook him one morning because I was laughing so hard. Anybody else ever heard this?