OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hollow shaft strikers

Started by mmclain, April 07, 2016, 08:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmclain

Hollow shaft strikers.  I started doing these this past year. They are hollow 1/8".  The result is a more raspy striker.   These are an idea I had as I was doing arrow shaft strikers.  I wondered if you actually needed the core of the striker.   No you don't!!

doublespurs21

something different,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

New Yorker

I made up about a dozen of those on a 7mm mandrel about 8 or 9 years ago with purple heart, walnut and hickory. Someone else on a forum had suggested the idea to remove the chatter when turning strikers. Once I got a long enough drill bit to get through the entire blank i made them and didn't notice much of a difference in sound or playability. I even put real primary, shield cut feathers on a few strikers lol.

mmclain

7mm is a large hole..for making pen parts.  This is 1/8".  it does improve rasp in the striker.  At 7 mm you most likely went past the point of improvement. 

Lonehowl

What if you didn't drill all the way thru the tip, and left it solid?
Mark

Spitten and drummen

I got a couple from larry gresser with a copper call. I honestly didn't care for them as I perfer a heavier striker. It seemed like they were much lighter. It could have just been his design or wood type that made it feel really light compared to all my other strikers. You are right about adding a little rasp by doing that. The ones I had did that compared to my other strikers. They look cool Matt.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

mmclain

You have to drill through the tip to make sure it's centered.  removing 1/8 doesn't remove enough material to affect the weight/balance  of the striker. Competition callers are loving the hollow ironwood.

TauntoHawk

That's interesting for sure, love the continual improvement by call makers.. Were getting so many awesome calls these days by guys always looking to make a better or unique call

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: mmclain on April 09, 2016, 05:22:11 PM
You have to drill through the tip to make sure it's centered.  removing 1/8 doesn't remove enough material to affect the weight/balance  of the striker. Competition callers are loving the hollow ironwood.
That's good to know. The strikers I got were drilled out bigger than that. May have to get one from you and try it out.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Roost 1

Would love to have that ironwood!!!!

cutt down

I have a hollow ironwood & it's raspier than my others. Great balance & weight.

mgm1955

strutnrut

I miss something  ???.  O well, I have been down there and seen these and they work. As for tweaking something until it's just so. That would be Matt. Anal at times about tweaking a call or cutting a piece of wood. You know your mail route stops only a mile from the house   :funnyturkey: