turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

how about some #6 patterns at 40??

Started by sswv, April 07, 2016, 10:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswv

I'm a BIG fan of the #6 copper plated load. I've always used it in my 12's but notice there's not a lot of chatter about them with a 20ga.  I'm trying a 870 youth 21" this year and would like to see others patterns with the 3" #6 at 40yds.

thanks in advance

NYlogbeards

I haven't ever seen #6 in copper plated in 20ga, i'm sure there is some but not at any of my outfitters, i have shot the Rem Nitro hard lead #6 and they pattern well to 30 yards maybe better for others with different gun and choke combos... I live in NY so not allowed to order any ammo online unless i get it sent to Gander Mountain but their prices and selections suck.

sswv

NYlogbeards

Quote from: sswv on April 07, 2016, 01:43:04 PM
here they are...

Would really like to try those but no one carries them, like i said NY laws sucks only option are the Fed HW 7s

davisd9

Quote from: NYlogbeards on April 07, 2016, 02:07:44 PM
here they are...

Would really like to try those but no one carries them, like i said NY laws sucks only option are the Fed HW 7s

You are better off with the HW 7s.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tombo

Quote from: davisd9 on April 07, 2016, 02:20:33 PM
Quote from: NYlogbeards on April 07, 2016, 02:07:44 PM
here they are...

This! X 2

davisd9

Quote from: sswv on April 07, 2016, 03:28:27 PM

I drive a Chevy....neighbor drives a Ford.   I ride a Honda ATV....neighbor rides a Yamaha ATV.   I prefer the 870....neighbor shoots a 1300.    if everybody did the same thing this would be a very boring world.  personally, I like choices and I choose the #6 copper plated shot as my favorite. now, with that being said, I do have and shoot the 7's but still prefer the 6's.
[/quote]

Stick with them.  If they are what you like then they should be what you shoot.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

sswv

hey guys.  the only way I can get the 20ga 3" #6's  here is to order them. same way with the HW #7's.    however, you can find 3" #5 20ga loads about anywhere.  I did some research and Winchester and Remington don't offer a premium 3" #6 20ga turkey load.  Personally I like the Federals anyway but DANG, I wish Winchester would offer a 3" 20ga XR Longbeard.  that shell is AWESOME in my 12ga 870.

turkeykiller41

Remington does offer a #6 it is the remington premier 1.25 oz I get 97 in the ten at 35 yards.

NYlogbeards

Quote from: sswv on April 07, 2016, 03:48:24 PM
hey guys.  the only way I can get the 20ga 3" #6's  here is to order them. same way with the HW #7's.    however, you can find 3" #5 20ga loads about anywhere.  I did some research and Winchester and Remington don't offer a premium 3" #6 20ga turkey load.  Personally I like the Federals anyway but DANG, I wish Winchester would offer a 3" 20ga XR Longbeard.  that shell is AWESOME in my 12ga 870.

Me too the Longbeards in 20ga would be killer, don't know why they haven't done it by now it just seems like they are trying to sell off the rest of their Double X, now Remington Premier magnums are copper plated #6

nyhunter

I have patterned those Federal 1 5/16 #6's in my 870 20ga, the max rang with them was 30-32 yds. that was with a trulock .575 .  This would be an awesome load for someone that hunted thick or dense area's or if you were restrained enough not to shoot at a bird at 40yds. 

sswv

thanks guys. I'll check out those Remington Premiers. I was looking at the Nitro Turkey loads and must have just overlooked them on the site.  right now with a .555 choke I'm getting an average of 85 in the 10 ring at 40yds. I know I can get better results and am waiting on a couple more chokes to try.  this is expensive but dang if it ain't fun.

R AJ

Winchester Supreme and XX did have 3 -1 1/4 oz #6s in boxes of 25 and Fiocchi has some 3" #7 1/2 loads and some are still seen around the way. I saw the NY thing. So , if you drive to another state you are not allowed to purchase any shells and bring them home?

NYlogbeards

Quote from: RAJ on April 08, 2016, 08:45:48 PM
Winchester Supreme and XX did have 3 -1 1/4 oz #6s in boxes of 25 and Fiocchi has some 3" #7 1/2 loads and some are still seen around the way. I saw the NY thing. So , if you drive to another state you are not allowed to purchase any shells and bring them home?

I could but its not like I have the time or money to drive out of state every year, and who's to say if that store out of state would have what I want? It would be easier to be able to order online and get shipped directly to me but I can't cause NY thinks gun owners are crazy psychos who are going to buy Birdshot online and kill people... Looking to move to another state soon one thats gun friendly.

sswv

thanks RAJ. I'll look into the 25 count boxes.