turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Chased this bird for two years....

Started by Planner, April 06, 2016, 07:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planner

And it ended in a Boom on Tuesday at 8:45 AM. I had this bird patterned, or so I thought for the past two years. Each time I'd set up in the draw, he used the ridge. If I were on the ridge, he was in the draw. Sure, we'd talk back and forth... Me yelping like a lonely hen and him gobbling like, well like a gobbler. Sometimes I'd get there early and he'd already be long on his way.... Ugh. Turkeys being turkeys. I was relentless in the pursuit knowing some day we'd come face to face. Tuesday morning found me in a place we call the turkey trap because it's a primary roosting site that can hold easily 20+ gobblers. It's a fun place to start any morning listening to the Texas Rios welcome the day. It's far from a sure thing because in this country getting close to a roost has its challenges and anything out of the ordinary will clam the birds up quickly. I played it safe and kept my distance but something had these birds on high alert. The only gobbles I heard came from the neighbors ranch so shortly after sunup I was making plans for my next set. My mind immediately turned to my nemesis and I knew I had plenty of time to get into his area. As I pointed my truck towards the pasture I was preoccupied with whether I'd set up in the draw or on the ridge. As I made a turn in the road- I saw him... Fanned out in full strut with his lady friends. They were at the base of the draw and I knew I could make my way up to the top of the draw ahead of them. I sprang into action and less than five minutes after sitting down the first hens appeared. I gave it some time and heard a gobble...from the ridge.... Ugh, this can't be happening. I gave a soft yelp from my slate and another gobble rang out below me in the draw. Minutes later he was in full strut in front of my set. Boom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmn2

cramerhunts

Way to stick with it. Congratulations!

renegade19

turkey buster

Anytime u can fill a vendetta like that it's fulfilling. Defiantly a hunt and turkey that will probably rank up in your top hunts of all time.

darn2ten

Congrats! But I do have to ask, how do you know for sure that's your buddy if you heard the bird gobble on the ridge also? Never can be sure, better get back out there and get after that one too! ;D

backwater

Beautiful bird and good story.   Congrats

tomstopper

nosaj

Congrats!  How many times did it play out like that in your mind??  I have one that I am hoping doesn't disappear come May 3rd!

KYHeadhunter02

Beautiful bird. Congrats! Not that it matters but what did he measure up at?

Dr Juice

Planner

Thanks guys- yeah the bird on the hill sounded off after shot my bird as if to say "it continues." He measured 9" beard with 1 3/8" spurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Honcho

bmhern

Congrats, way to hang with him!!        :icon_thumright: