turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Jerky

Started by FlyFishNut, April 06, 2016, 07:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyFishNut

My family won't eat wild game (I'm convinced its a mental thing) but they love jerky.

Anyone have a good recipe / tips  for turkey jerky?  If not, what is your favorite way to prepare wild turkey?

deadbuck

I cut some into cubes and beat it flat with a tenderizing hammer recently. Then sprinkled a generous portion of Tony Chacheres on it and let it sit for 30 minutes while the grease got hot in skillet. Once the grease was hot dipped it in flour and fried golden brown. Even my wife ate it. My kids thought it was boneless pork chops, lol

wvmntnhick

Sliced thin, rolled in flour, fried in hot grease and seasoned with garlic, pepper, salt, Cajun seasoning, garlic, small pics of seasoned salt and garlic. Did I mention the garlic? Love it that way. Used lemon pepper once too. It was great but don't over cook it.

Greg Massey

I just marinade it just like doing deer jerky. It's better than any deer jerky you have ever ate. I have to make a bunch every year for my grand kids and family..

C.Kimzey95

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 06, 2016, 10:18:51 AM
I just marinade it just like doing deer jerky. It's better than any deer jerky you have ever ate.
X2 it's good stuff

Spring Creek Calls

Cut in 1/4" thick strips while half frozen. After completely thawed, apply your favorite jerky seasoning. Lay on oven racks with drip pan below.  Place in oven at lowest setting with a wooden spoon in the door to vent moisture. Cook until desired texture is reached.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Happy

I inject with butter and creol mixed with a little water. Cold smoke it for a few hours and then debone it. Legs, wings and all. Cut it into stripsand fry with butter and Cajun seasoning. It's a family favorite that I just might have to do this weekend. Got two birds in the freezer from last year still.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

triune

I make the turkey jerky the same as deer jerky.  Turns out well.

greentag

you can thank me later,i have had this formula for years and it is awesome.
3-6 pounds wild turley,or a whole breast
3 teaspoons garlic powder
6 teaspoons onion powder
5 teaspoons meat tenderizer
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons ground mustard
2 cups soy sauce(1 whole 10 ounce bottle)
2 cups worcesthire sauce(1 whole 10 ounce bottle)

cut turkey breast into quarter inch strips 3 to 4 inches long if possible,combine all the above ingrediants into a large bowl,mix thoroughly and then add the turkey strips.marinate in brine for 24 hours,TURNING MEAT OCCASIONALLY(very important).Drain brine,place strips on paper towels (pat dry,this is very important also.place in the dehydrator.turn trays every couple hours and then be sure to rotate the trays.keep a check on the pieces and remove as they get done.some will get done quicker,and dont leave them to long and let them dry up and get brittle,taste a few,youll know when you should.
if done right this is the best jerkey i have ever eaten.deer is awful compared to this stuff,its in a league of itself.in ky we can kill 4 in the fall and i always have to make at least 1 or 2 batches then,i love it cooked but i also love it this way just as well.dont tell your family what it is untill they have eaten some,they may just change their mind about wild game.good luck
I forgot to add this earlier but,i have tried this with both frozen and fresh turkey and it is def. best to use fresh turkey,it taste a lot better when it is made with freshly killed turkey,i don't know if where it is frozen it doesn't take as good or what but they are a big difference in the two,so always try to use a fresh one.

MerriamMac

Sounds delicious, thank you for posting the recipe. I'm a newbie in terms of making jerky.

rbreedi1

Quote from: greentag on April 07, 2016, 11:47:43 PM
you can thank me later,i have had this formula for years and it is awesome.
3-6 pounds wild turley,or a whole breast
3 teaspoons garlic powder
6 teaspoons onion powder
5 teaspoons meat tenderizer
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons ground mustard
2 cups soy sauce(1 whole 10 ounce bottle)
2 cups worcesthire sauce(1 whole 10 ounce bottle)

cut turkey breast into quarter inch strips 3 to 4 inches long if possible,combine all the above ingrediants into a large bowl,mix thoroughly and then add the turkey strips.marinate in brine for 24 hours,TURNING MEAT OCCASIONALLY(very important).Drain brine,place strips on paper towels (pat dry,this is very important also.place in the dehydrator.turn trays every couple hours and then be sure to rotate the trays.keep a check on the pieces and remove as they get done.some will get done quicker,and dont leave them to long and let them dry up and get brittle,taste a few,youll know when you should.
if done right this is the best jerkey i have ever eaten.deer is awful compared to this stuff,its in a league of itself.in ky we can kill 4 in the fall and i always have to make at least 1 or 2 batches then,i love it cooked but i also love it this way just as well.dont tell your family what it is untill they have eaten some,they may just change their mind about wild game.good luck
I forgot to add this earlier but,i have tried this with both frozen and fresh turkey and it is def. best to use fresh turkey,it taste a lot better when it is made with freshly killed turkey,i don't know if where it is frozen it doesn't take as good or what but they are a big difference in the two,so always try to use a fresh one.

Thanks for that recipe, I will try that this year!
Thunder Ridge Totes

Gooserbat

I slice it very thin and across the grain.  Then I marinate in what ever I'm using and use the same method as deer jerky.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

FlyFishNut

yes -  Thanks for the recipe -  I froze the breast :-(

I'm gonna try it anyway and also try and get a fresh bird to compare  :newmascot: