OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Fan Umbrella?

Started by husker, April 05, 2016, 08:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Quote from: drenalinld on April 06, 2016, 12:36:19 PM
anyone think roost shooting is easy??

Not sure if this is a serious question? If so, I think it would be fairly easy for those who would be dedicated enough to do it. But the real question? Easy or not, what gratification would one get from blasting one off the roost?

Greg Massey

Amen ... Cutt...i will leave it up to that person to make that decision..who ask the question..

SteelerFan

Cutt

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 06, 2016, 08:29:26 PM

=

:gobble:

That's why I asked wasn't sure? Just didn't follow any other replies from him to make that connection though.

SteelerFan

Quote from: Cutt on April 06, 2016, 08:33:25 PM

That's why I asked wasn't sure? Just didn't follow any other replies from him to make that connection though.

:icon_thumright:

IF it's NOT sarcasm... he's got A LOT of explaining to do concerning his call collections, especially those scratch boxes!  :TooFunny:

silvestris

VatuRKstOmPer may be rude, may be, but he is right.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

DAk28

I recently read through this entire discussion, and can say WOW! I joined this site awhile back because it had lots of great info and I enjoyed everyone's posts and that they were quick to provide accurate feedback about what works for them. I normally don't like to get involved in who is right and who is wrong discussions, because who am I to judge someone else. Obviously I'm not a purist like everyone else, or believe in the B.S that they type on here to build themselves up as purists. WOW! I'm done I decided that maybe this is not the place for me.

Dtrkyman

Reaping is like talking politics, everyone has an opinion and there's is the only correct one.  I have been on 2 hunts that i reaped a bird for a friend, both required a lengthy stalk and lots of crawling, I was holding the fan and they were the shooter both times. Worked as well as advertised and we took 2 nice birds, is it my preferred method? No, but it was fun and I have no issue with anyone doing it, I am going to do it with the bow this year I think. As good as the real turkey fan worked i wouldn't buy the umbrella!   

cornfedkiller

Quote from: beakbuster10 on April 06, 2016, 03:23:52 PM

....I know plenty of "turkey hunters" that praise reaping for the near 100% success rate. That's not hunting. That's killing.

I would go so far as to say it's way harder to kill a turkey off the roost or over bait than reaping.

Does it really work that well?  I have a friend that told me he tried it on several different birds last year and they both ran the other way.  I guess I assumed guys did it as a last ditch effort, or something you would do if you got to a field and there were already birds there?

I guess I don't know much about it...

catdaddy

I don't have any problem with the turkey umbrella. Why should I? Why do I care how soembody else's is turkey hunting. I try to mind my own business and I don't want other people trying to mind mine. I am a minimalist turkey hunter. Not because I am some sort of turkey hunting elitist--its just the way I am.  I don't use decoys, blinds, heavy shot shells etc... However, if I had one of these things who's to say that I may try it out? All the squawking about the dangers of it rings hollow to me--especially since I have seen no evidenece of any mishaps. As for all the noise about "too much respect" for the bird to hunt like this--please--we ultimately shoot them in the face with a load of #5's--I would not want someone to respect me like that.

beakbuster10

Quote from: cornfedkiller on April 07, 2016, 04:13:53 PM
Quote from: beakbuster10 on April 06, 2016, 03:23:52 PM

....I know plenty of "turkey hunters" that praise reaping for the near 100% success rate. That's not hunting. That's killing.

I would go so far as to say it's way harder to kill a turkey off the roost or over bait than reaping.

Does it really work that well?  I have a friend that told me he tried it on several different birds last year and they both ran the other way.  I guess I assumed guys did it as a last ditch effort, or something you would do if you got to a field and there were already birds there?

I guess I don't know much about it...

Yes. I'm sure there are a few instances where a subdominant tom is frightened or the turkeys see a hunter where it doesn't work, but I know 3 guys that tagged out in 3 days from reaping (in VA you're allowed one bird a day and 3 birds per year so you do the math).
I also read an article about it I saw posted on Facebook today written by Michael Waddell. He advocated it because of the 80-90% success rate (his own guess of success rate). His advocating didn't surprise me, as I earlier said the only reason turkey reaping became a thing was tv show hosts needing a kill or someone looking for a sponsorship; and then it trickled down to the "I watched duck dynasty so I'm a duck hunter" type, leading to them wanting to turkey reap too.

Gobble!

Not as easy as I thought it would be that's for sure. Had to wake up even earlier, stepped in a ground hog hole, bumped into a bees nest, and blew him off the roost.
Going to take one of these motorized decoys next time with one of those pretty white mad decoys strapped to the back and park it under his tree. Wait for him to fly down and mount the thing then give him a ride right into gun range.

tomstopper

Quote from: Gobble! on April 07, 2016, 04:35:56 PM

Not as easy as I thought it would be that's for sure. Had to wake up even earlier, stepped in a ground hog hole, bumped into a bees nest, and blew him off the roost.
Going to take one of these motorized decoys next time with one of those pretty white mad decoys strapped to the back and park it under his tree. Wait for him to fly down and mount the thing then give him a ride right into gun range.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: Can I watch this go down??  :funnyturkey:

chatterbox

Quote from: BowBendr on April 06, 2016, 02:48:15 PM
I guess that I am considered to be "old school" and have been told by several that I am pretty hard-core. I despise about 95% of the new products I see brought to market, and the attitudes those products bring with them. That being said, if the day ever comes that I have to hide behind a turkey fan to kill a gobbler, I will quit. Not gonna look down on anyone, not gonna preach about it...just aint gonna participate in it.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions
I stand with Bow on this one. It may be legal means to kill a bird, but I have far too much fun trying to beat a wary bird at his game to participate.
I have killed a small amount of toms compared to most on here, but I will continue hunting the way I was taught. Reaping and umbrellas are just not for me.