OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Fan Umbrella?

Started by husker, April 05, 2016, 08:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

;D :TooFunny: :toothy12: :toothy9:  I bet husker didn't see where this thread was headed when he brought up his original question....

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 06, 2016, 12:46:41 PM
;D :TooFunny: :toothy12: :toothy9:  I bet husker didn't see where this thread was headed when he brought up his original question....

Lolol! It's turkey season! Let's have some fun Boy's  :blob10:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

GobbleNut

Hooksfan

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 06, 2016, 12:11:32 PM
How do you feel about bow hunting for turkeys?  Can't even begin to estimate how many pass through /run off to die elsewhere encounters there are a year nationally...I know a couple of outfitters pretty well - the number of bow-shot birds lost is substantial.  Should it be banned?
[/quote]

I can tell you how I feel about it, and keep in mind I have actually participated in the Kansas early archery season.  My take on it is that the early seasons brings out a lot of folks who do not possess the experience or skills necessary to be able to do it ethically--even though many of them extoll the virtues of "the greater challenge of archery".  I do not like the idea of giving archery hunters an early season.  And, no one can tell me the number of birds shot and not retrieved is not considerably higher with archery than it is with shotguns as a general rule. 
I guess my take on it is this:  If one claims to archery hunt for the greater challenge, then why would there be a need for an early season before the birds have been pressured---making it inherently easier for you to get your tagged filled?  Why not just go out there with the shotgun hunters and kill one with archery equipment when it actually would have a much greater degree of difficulty if that is truly your goal?
I believe archery hunting for turkeys should be reserved for the folks who truly are a cut above the average turkey hunter--not just those aspiring to be. 

wvmntnhick

I'm betting your right about that.  :TooFunny:

husker

No, I certainly didn't.   I'm brand new to the forum and new to turkey hunting this year.   I'm just anxious to soak up as much advice as I can get.  Didn't intend to touch off a powderkeg. 

tomstopper

Quote from: husker on April 06, 2016, 01:51:16 PM

No, I certainly didn't.   I'm brand new to the forum and new to turkey hunting this year.   I'm just anxious to soak up as much advice as I can get.  Didn't intend to touch off a powderkeg.
This time of year its easy to do. I wouldn't worry about it.....

gergg

https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Bill Cooksey

It's just the nature of forums. Happens on every hunting or fishing forum I'm been on.

GobbleNut

Quote from: tomstopper on April 06, 2016, 01:59:40 PM

This time of year its easy to do. I wouldn't worry about it.....

Some of us are just cranky because we are not hunting yet and we have all these guys on here rubbing it in by posting pictures of the birds they have already shot. 
;D ;D :toothy12: :toothy9: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :toothy9: :toothy12: ;D ;D

BowBendr

I guess that I am considered to be "old school" and have been told by several that I am pretty hard-core. I despise about 95% of the new products I see brought to market, and the attitudes those products bring with them. That being said, if the day ever comes that I have to hide behind a turkey fan to kill a gobbler, I will quit. Not gonna look down on anyone, not gonna preach about it...just aint gonna participate in it.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

wvmntnhick

Partially my fault I suppose. Guess I should've taken the higher road when the crap started flowing downhill. Reverted back to my middle school days and jumped in with both feet and forgot to even bother putting my waders on first. Apologies for ruffling anyone's feathers. Just think new people's questions should maybe be answered without all the mud slinging.

beakbuster10

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 06, 2016, 10:04:50 AM
Okay,...we all need to take a deep breath and settle down.

Although I totally agree that there are some boundaries that we should all agree on in terms of how we conduct ourselves as hunters, there are also a number of things that are not so black and white.  The things that are in the "gray area" vary a bit for each of us.  All of us have our own conditions and circumstances under which we must hunt. 

From my travels turkey hunting, I know for a fact there are folks in other parts of the country that hunt in ways that I personally prefer not to,...and they feel completely comfortable and justified in doing so.  They hunt that way because, over time, they have come to the conclusion that using whatever tactics they do are needed to consistently, or even occasionally, be successful under the conditions in which they hunt.

Again, as long as those tactics are legal and can be applied safely where you hunt, hunt the way you want.  If I don't hunt where you do and under the conditions that you face there, it is hard for me to justify taking a position against your hunting methods, regardless of if they conform to my own "standards" or not.
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 06, 2016, 11:37:22 AM

Although I totally agree that there are some boundaries that we should all agree on in terms of how we conduct ourselves as hunters, there are also a number of things that are not so black and white.  The things that are in the "gray area" vary a bit for each of us.  All of us have our own conditions and circumstances under which we must hunt. 

From my travels turkey hunting, I know for a fact there are folks in other parts of the country that hunt in ways that I personally prefer not to,...and they feel completely comfortable and justified in doing so.  They hunt that way because, over time, they have come to the conclusion that using whatever tactics they do are needed to consistently, or even occasionally, be successful under the conditions in which they hunt.

Again, as long as those tactics are legal and can be applied safely where you hunt, hunt the way you want.  If I don't hunt where you do and under the conditions that you face there, it is hard for me to justify taking a position against your hunting methods, regardless of if they conform to my own "standards" or not.

You're such a politician, man.  I, like you, have traveled, guided and shot turkeys in more states than I have toes and fingers. I acknowledge that different places present unique sets of challenges that vary from habitat to terrain to bird density to season dates and stages of the breeding cycle when you get there.  Anyone who travels to chase them is aware of those things.

Now please explain the following to me:

When is roost shooting ok, gobblenut? How is hunting over bait (like they do in Texas) or being allowed to hunt 100 yards away from it in Florida ethical? How is crawling towards a gobbler with a fan in front of you, knowing full well that most gobblers will see that as a confrontational act and charge the decoy ethical?

These are three tactics that virtually ensure success.  I could careless about someone's sensitivity or offense to my perspective because I think it's a disgrace these practices are even considered acceptable amongst our ranks.  We owe it to the birds to say enough is enough and it seems the very organization and people entrusted as stewards of the resource how lost sight of that in favor or inclusion and $$$$. 

The wild turkey was a hell of a lot better off before all of this nonsense and turkey hunters then were more captivated with the art of killing turkeys than the bloodlust for filling tags.
Quote from: spaightlabs on April 06, 2016, 12:11:32 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 06, 2016, 11:37:22 AM

You're such a politician, man.  I, like you, have traveled, guided and shot turkeys in more states than I have toes and fingers. I acknowledge that different places present unique sets of challenges that vary from habitat to terrain to bird density to season dates and stages of the breeding cycle when you get there.  Anyone who travels to chase them is aware of those things.

Now please explain the following to me:

When is roost shooting ok, gobblenut? How is hunting over bait (like they do in Texas) or being allowed to hunt 100 yards away from it in Florida ethical? How is crawling towards a gobbler with a fan in front of you, knowing full well that most gobblers will see that as a confrontational act and charge the decoy ethical?

These are three tactics that virtually ensure success.  I could careless about someone's sensitivity or offense to my perspective because I think it's a disgrace these practices are even considered acceptable amongst our ranks.  We owe it to the birds to say enough is enough and it seems the very organization and people entrusted as stewards of the resource how lost sight of that in favor or inclusion and $$$$. 

The wild turkey was a hell of a lot better off before all of this nonsense and turkey hunters then were more captivated with the art of killing turkeys than the bloodlust for filling tags.

Gotta be rough living in a world of gray when you see only black and white - I'd guess your blood pressure is through the roof.

How do you feel about bow hunting for turkeys?  Can't even begin to estimate how many pass through /run off to die elsewhere encounters there are a year nationally...I know a couple of outfitters pretty well - the number of bow-shot birds lost is substantial.  Should it be banned?

I agree that turkey reaping is one of the foulest parts of turkey hunting, if you even call it hunting. The only reason turkey reaping ever became a thing was for people to make a buck from producing hunting shows and getting sponsorships. Sure the native Americans originated the tactic but it was all but dead until the Amish guys started posting their videos on YouTube(which resulted in royalties and sponsorships).
I know plenty of "turkey hunters" that praise reaping for the near 100% success rate. That's not hunting. That's killing.

I would go so far as to say it's way harder to kill a turkey off the roost or over bait than reaping. Once the turkey locks in on the decoys, I've seen videos where the shooter stands up and the birds keeps coming or flogging the decoy. There's no sport in it.

Also I agree that body shooting turkeys with a bow is also the best route. I bow hunt turkeys from time to time and I use nothing but head lopping broadheads. Can't tell you how many people I know that say I got a pass through but never found the bird. But I've yet to meet anyone that hit a bird with a head lopper above the waddles and didn't kill.

Cutt

What is reaping you speak of? I feel stupid asking, but don't really pay attention to decoys and techniques as it don't intrest me, but was curious? Is it the same as Fanning where a hunter sneaks behind a fan in on Toms and shoots them? Thanks

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Cutt on April 06, 2016, 07:14:01 PM
What is reaping you speak of? I feel stupid asking, but don't really pay attention to decoys and techniques as it don't intrest me, but was curious? Is it the same as Fanning where a hunter sneaks behind a fan in on Toms and shoots them? Thanks

Yes. 

Google turkey reaping and you can see thousands of examples of it.