turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Reduced Recoil Loads

Started by coonhunter, April 05, 2016, 11:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coonhunter

I'm looking for a good 20 ga load for my 7 year old that don't kick like a mule!  Any ideas??
Joshua 24:15

Tom Foolery

I let my nephew shoot these when he was younger.  He handled them well and they threw a good pattern out to 30yds which was his limit.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953136224/federal-top-gun-ammunition-20-gauge-2-3-4-7-8-oz-75-shot

coonhunter

For now I have some 1oz high brass #6 2 3/4"  I was going to try. 

Greg Massey

you know they make some Federal Heavy weight 2 3/4 shells in 20 ga. you might look at trying a box of those. Midway USA sale those. They really push more than they kick.

coonhunter

I was just looking those up.  He is shooting a 870 wingmaster light weight with a 26" barrel.  I'm letting him shoot a full choke for now so he has a little more room for error and limiting his shots to 30 yards.  So these with the flight control wad may patter well?

terp

Tom Foolry,  how did those shells do on game.   I have the same ones and may give them a try

Tom Foolery

He never got a crack at a bird with them, they patterned great and I have no worries with the 7.5's at 30yds.

I killed a bunch of squirrel and crows with them.  They were very effective on them.

gophert

My daughter smoked her first bird 5 years ago with the Fed HW 2-3/4 #7's.....out to 30-35...they will smack a gobblers face...full choke should be fine...she was 9.

Here's the kill shot:

http://youtu.be/PN8lPFbm-Pk

Sent from my typewriter

R AJ

Headed out tomorrow with a 870 21" bbl using 2 3/4" Fed HW #7s and I have four or more boxes of 3" #7s.

The 2 3/4" shell has far less recoil but a beautiful pattern. Also using the Sumtoy 562-3 (not5) choke and yest at 30- 35 yards it is a very even killer pattern.

g8rvet

Cool video. 

I was cycling some Federal 7/8 ounce #7.5 through my SA-459 (just to smooth the action some) and shot some at paper. With a Trulock HW choke it would  very effectively kill a bird at 25-30 yards. 

Those 2 3/4 HW will be poison. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

tree-rat sniper

I've used Win high brass 1oz 2.75" 5 shot to take birds, small game, coons, skunks & even a yote.  20 years ago, we used 2.75" 4 shot for everything.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

nosaj

My daughter was shooting Nitros, Kent's and Fed. HW and said the HW's had the least recoil and these were 3" shells, so the 2-3/4" shells should be even softer.  Don't have her practice with the turkey loads.  Let her practice with 2-3/4" low brass slow speed loads and then just put the turkey load in when it for real.  Don't even tell her there is a difference.

coonhunter

Here is the 870 wingmaster 26" with a full choke and Federal HW #7 2 3/4"  this was 30 yards and 180 in the 10"  I believe this will work just fine!