turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 Gauge 21" Barrel Build

Started by Ridge Rooster, April 04, 2016, 07:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridge Rooster

I am getting into this 20 gauge stuff after looking at the patterns they are producing and the handy little guns I see yall using! This site cost me so much money!! LOL

I purchased a 20 Gauge youth model, a Sure Shot stock, and for this year I am going to use some Magnum Gobble Dot sights, getting to close to season to send off for Drill/Tap job but by next season, if I take a liking to this gun, it will wear a FF3 on a 336 base.

Need help with choke choice??? I am reading about the Sumtoy, the Carlson, and the Trulock?? I plan on using Heavy 7 shot so which should I try? I know this question has been asked before but let me know what is the best combo to try from the get go.

Also how about lengthening the forcing cone or any other advice on barrel work? How about polishing or have yall got good numbers without? Season is in a couple weeks so I am going to be in a rush getting this gun going but I would like to give it a try this year.

Any advice and recommendations would be very helpful!!

Thanks

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

nyhunter

Sumtoy has done great for me, I have a Trulock but i haven't had a chance to pattern it yet. With limited time I would deep clean the barrel and not worry about polishing it this year. You my find your happy with your patterns and not need to do any more work .   Be warned once you carry a light little 20ga your not gonna wan't to carry your 12ga anymore .  :icon_thumright:

yelpy

I had the forcing cone lengthened on 2 of my barrels and it did absolutely nothing for the patterns. I wouldn't waist my money getting that done again. Clean it up good and find a choke it likes. Good luck with your 20.

Tom Foolery

The Sumtoy 562-5 has been excellent for me with the Fed 7. 

The Primos TighWad is also excellent from mine with the Fed HW7 and Hevi13 #6.

mathews bowhunter

You can pick up a saddle mount instead of drilling and tapping if you're wanting to put a dot on it. I have one on mine and I love it. It's cheaper and just as effective. I actually like it better because should my dot fail on me in the field it sits just high enough on the receiver that I can see my bead under it.

Ridge Rooster

Got gun this morning, Sure Shot stock ordered, Tru Glo Mag gobble dots on the way, Carlson Choke in .575, and 3 boxes of Federal HW #7's. Hope it likes the Carlson only got a couple weeks till season. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will post some before and after. As soon as season is over I am going to send gun to Rob Roberts for a dip and drill/tap (May go with the cantilever mount but I really like the looks of the 336 mount) for a FF3. If the Carlson choke don't work I am for sure going to try a Sumtoy.

Ridge Rooster

Greg Massey

I have the Trulock 565 and really like it for a good all around choke ..i also have a saddle mount on mine and i really like it..It takes a different saddle mount for the youth model..the old saddle mounts for the old 20 will not fit...

Ridge Rooster

Just got bore spotless, tuned trigger to a little over 3lbs, pulled butt stock and forearm off. Waiting on stock, choke, sights, and shells. Most should be here tomorrow! Dang this is fun, can't wait to see how this little gun patterns!

Ridge Rooster

nyhunter

I started with a plain Jane 870 with a 26" barrel, put on a 21" barrel, pistol grip stock, new forend, Burris red dot ,. Man I love the little gun it weighs in at 6.1 lbs.       Keep us posted on how it patterns.

Ridge Rooster

I now its been asked many times before but can someone PM me the easiest way to post pictures.

Thanks

Ridge Rooster

Ridge Rooster

Tru Glows have not shown up yet but I did find an old set of Williams Universal slugger sights that I had bought several years ago so I installed them. They seem more rugged than the Tru Glo's that I have on my 11-87, and they set up a little higher also which will help, the Sure Shot stock has a very high comb. Anyway i got to shoot the little gun today and I am very impressed. Got 156 in a 10" @ 40
with the 3" Federal Flight Control #7's and the Carlson .575 choke. I think I am a convert! Cant wait to shoot a ridge rooster with it!

Ridge Rooster

Cleveland48

I have been very impressed with my Carlson .575 with the Fed HW 7's. Lethal combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridge Rooster

Yes I was also. After looking at pattern pictures and seeing the success people were having with the 20's I decided to give one a shot. I do think that I will be investing in the equipment needed to load the TSS after season this year. I love tweak guns for maximum efficiency and the TSS really looks like it turns the 20 into one awesome turkey thumper!

Ridge Rooster

honker22

You won't regret that decision. 
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Sand Man

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!