turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kentucky's Youth Opener

Started by Chilly, April 04, 2016, 09:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilly

Our season is off to a great start!  Had awesome hunts with both of my boys!  Landon (9) and myself got after a group of birds at around 2:00 Saturday.  The strong winds were just starting and I was questioning whether or not the birds would even be able to hear us due to wind direction and our set up.  Finally, one gobbled! About 20 minutes later I hear Landon take his safety off and watched him draw a bead.  I was behind him about 15ft and could not see the bird due to trees and a rise.  He shoots and I see the bird tumbling down the knob.  He came in silent but Landon was ready! So proud of him!
24.5lbs, 10.25" beard, 1-5/16 spurs. 
Later that afternoon, I took my youngest son, Weston (7) and the 30mph hurricane winds were now here!  We set up on the edge of a winter wheat field.  I was trying my best to keep the blind from blowing away.  It came off the ground a few times.  In between wind gusts, I was doing my best to get some calls out.  Finally, a bird gobbled just over the rise in front of us.  We peak out the window and here comes 4 fans and snowball heads straight at our hen decoy.  They are focused on the decoy and I am still trying to hold the blind down.  Weston gets his gun up on the shooting stick and finally a bird breaks away from the group and offers a shot.  Weston smoked him at 22 yards.  He got to watch a heck of a show!  Weston's turkey was 18.5lbs, 9.5" beard, and 7/8 spurs. 
To say I am proud of these two boys and how eager they are to learn is an understatement!!!

Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

SteelerFan

WOW! Congratulations! Nice birds, great story behind them  :icon_thumright:

tomstopper

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 04, 2016, 10:03:25 AM
WOW! Congratulations! Nice birds, great story behind them  :icon_thumright:
Awesome job by the youngster (acting like a true turkey killer). Congrats to you both. Love that pic next to the creek.

chadly

Congrats to you and your boys.  That is about the best day ever.

ilbucksndux

Gary Bartlow

Jbird22

Congrats to y'all! I can only imagine your excitement!

Chilly

Thanks for all the kind comments!
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

jwright8

Congrats to both of you!!

Glad someone is having some luck. My little bro had a rough weekend.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

mwr

Dr Juice

Mike Honcho

That's great, proud of all y'all!

I live in Kansas and understand the wind....I had a similar successful hunt with a grandson....I was holding the blind down to keep it from blowing away....luckily it was tied to posts and a fence too.

triune

Heck of a day!  Congratulations.

JK Spurs

I like my turkey well peppered

owlhoot

Sounds like a great day, congrats boys  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Mtd69