OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If you won the powerball

Started by MouthCaller, April 04, 2016, 04:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MouthCaller

I wasn't on back when the craze was going on a few months ago but I did play and I did dream of what I could do with that amount of money. Just out of boredom and curiosity I Googled cost of different hunting plots in different states and maybe an island or two ;) lol.

If you won where would you buy land or would you do something else? I know for a fact I'd be driving an rv all over during the spring hunting various states following turkey season but I think I'd buy hunting land in Colorado for elk, Iowa for deer, Mississippi for turkey, and either Louisiana Arkansas or MS for ducks. Oh and if I remember right you can own your own canyon in Colorado for around 34 mil LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Happy

Personally I would pay off the house and bank the rest. I would keep working as long as I could renogaciat the terms of my employment. That would mean at least two months off in the spring. I wouldn't buy any out of state land because it's to much hassle to keep people off of and I wouldn't get maximum enjoyment from it. I would start my spring in the south and work my way north till seasons end. Maybe a trip to the Midwest every couple years. I would hunt mainly public land and maybe a few spots where I could pay a trespass fee. That's about it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

wvmntnhick

I'm not a waterfowl guy nor am I big on travel. Just one of those things I guess. Because of that, I'd buy myself a large tract of land right here and have my own high fence operation. It'd have elk introduced and they'd not be hunted for the first 10 years or so just to let the population build. Aside from that, id buy several large bucks and does from well known stock and place them into a breeding pen. As they had their young and they aged, I'd be turning them loose on the property. There'd be some food plots and numerous stands placed about. There wouldn't be any deer hunting on the farm for the first 4 years. After that, I'm opening the place up to friends and family as well as children and disabled vets all free of charge. The turkey hunting however will be quite limited as far as participants. I can only think of a couple people that would be hunting it for birds at all. But again, I'm talking a large piece of ground. Several thousand acres. Not a small chunk of 100-200 acres. I want it large enough that the animals can still have their wild tendencies and not the cattle feeling.

maytom

Don't think I would buy any land, with that amount of money, I WOULD "book" bow hunts to Illinois and Missouri, as well as spring turkey hunts every single year!! :drool:

jakesdad

Land and lots of it. Measured in sections not acres with a long narrow winding road to the middle of it where I'd have a home overlooking a nice size lake. Would want it secluded enough that I would only see people when I wanted.   Would prob buy a summer home in Alaska to escape the MO heat and humidity. If you've ever been to Alaska you understand !

Would not be one of those people with huge mansions and 2 dozen cars and blowing money like its never going to run out.i like what WArren Buffet said that " I'd leave my kids enough money so they could do anything they want but not so much that they can do nothing "

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

callmakerman

Buy a nice RV and take myself and a few close friends turkey hunting so we all could get our grand slams. After that who knows as the Mrs. may have a few ideas.

ilbucksndux

Back when the Powerball was really high I dreamed about what i would do with all that money. Very first thing I would do is pay off the house. Then hire someone to invest enough that me and the wife dont have to work the jobs we have now. Id give some cash to family and a few friends. Then the buying would start.I would buy me a cabin in Arkansas right up next to one of my favorite WMA's. I know exactly the one I want. I plan on walking up knocking on the door and giving them an envelope of money and saying "I'll give you 15 minutes to get your underwear and toothbrush........leave all that other stuff here.I'd like to have a cabin in Tennessee on near or close to a turkey hunting spot.

Then I would buy camera equipment and follow the duck migration down each flyway.Turkey hunt everywhere I could during the spring. Bow hunt in Southern Illinois in the fall,all on public ground.
Gary Bartlow

Marc

During a meeting at the Rotary club, we had a guest speaker that was some sort of lottery police.  It was his job to make sure that people turning in winning tickets had actually purchased them...

There was a ticket for $160 million and they had the couple on video purchasing the winning ticket and the couple could not find it...  That would suck, and probably be pretty tough on the marriage.

But he went on to say, that many winners become quite miserable after winning.  From what I have read, this is a pretty common theme with lottery winners.  Also, many blow through their money quite quickly and end up financially worse off than before they won.

That being said, with small children at home, I believe we would keep working (to some degree), and try to make that money work for us as well...  Set an example for the children, and create a really nice nest egg.

Before graduate school, I was working, and my parents and grandparents told me I could take the last 6 weeks off and have some fun...  After a week, I could not stand it anymore, and fishing and playing everyday started to lose its appeal.  I ended up going back to work (as fill-in) and worked more hours than I had before giving notice.  I guess I have to feel useful, and I also need to feel like I "earned" my fun time.

I would buy a really good duck club, and we would take some really nice vacations, and flying coach would be a thing of the past.  All the kids in the family would have a college fund, etc...

As far as buying land, it would have to pay for itself in some manner.  I'd love to by a tract of land with really good deer/quail/turkey hunting, as long as I could lease it out for cattle grazing (or something) for some degree of profit.

I'd go to Canada and/or Mexico every year to hunt waterfowl, and I'd love to go east to hunt some turkeys...  New Zealand for waterfowl and fly fishing for sure, and peacock bass on the Amazon with a fly rod is on my bucket list as well.

And, a yearly trip to Europe or somewhere else for the wife every year during the summer.  The wife loves traveling, and although I do NOT, I will say that my travels have expanded my understanding and opened my mind to cultural differences (which I think would be really good for the kids to experience)...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

dejake

First thing I would do is give 20% to my church.  10% for the church, and 10% for missionary/outreach.

Greybeard11

I'd buy the biggest piece of land I could find, put a house in the middle with a gate on the driveway and only leave when necessary. I'd spend my time farming and improving the habitat. Hey, we can dream!
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  -John Wayne

lmbhngr

I'm not telling cuz then you'd find me

Izzyjoe

With that kind of money you would be constantly bothered by fools wanting some, so I'd say the best corse of action would be leave the country! Buy some remote tropical island, and drink lots of rum!

Gooserbat

blood and feathers, lots of blood and feathers.  And lots of tss.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

MouthCaller

Quote from: Izzyjoe on April 04, 2016, 10:29:19 PM
With that kind of money you would be constantly bothered by fools wanting some, so I'd say the best corse of action would be leave the country! Buy some remote tropical island, and drink lots of rum!
I'm with you on that my man... up until hunting seasons roll around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

wmn2

Pay off debt. Student loans, house, and car and truck. I'd invest at least half, just so my wife and I knew we'd be perfectly fine when we get older. I'd want to start my own business with my wife. We'd buy probably around 1000 acres here in SC and then probably some land in Colorado. Build our dream home here in SC and probably a small cabin in CO and then just buy a few toys. Travel trailer and truck to pull it would probably be number 1 and then we'd try to live as normal as possible. We've been working very hard to pay off our remaining debt and I think we'd be pretty good with a large sum of money just because we never want to be in debt again once we pay ours off.