OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TN opener, took all day but I got one

Started by catman529, April 02, 2016, 09:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Started this morning with 3 jakes roosted right next to me, they came down and walked up to 10 yards and putted at me for 10 minutes.

Around midday I drove to another spot, struck a gobbler that ended up having a hen, but she answered my calls and came in with the longbeard in tow. Due to the thick undergrowth, I didn't get a shot. When I made a big loop to set up on them again, I spooked them off the ridge.

I drove to yet another spot around 4pm, a very familiar one that I don't hunt much anymore. Bumped a red head in a patch of woods, and then bumped into 2 guys walking a field who were headed out for the day. They had no luck, said it was too windy.

I went into and sat in that patch of woods for over an hour, calling occasionally, with no response at all.

With an hour till sunset, I got back up and started walking the field edges, and calling once or twice. Nothing to see or hear, until I got to the top of a hill, where I could see across an open field to the patch of woods I had set up in earlier. A big gobbler was standing in the field edge, making his way to the left.

I quickly walked down through the woods to the next field to set up on the bird. I found a spot in the fence row between the two fields, facing the direction of the gobbler. I was ready for him to show up on either side of me.

Called a few times and waited. Maybe 5 minutes later, I saw red, white and blue bobbing along to my right. Got the camera on, filming a nice video of the bushes in front of me, while I waited for the head to reappear and shot him.

Knocked some of the beard out, that's a first for me. Spurs look like he might be 3 year old. He didn't gobble once, but he came in quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatbeard

Congrats I am right there with you. On birds early morning and all day hunt. Got mine around 6:30. Like the wingbone too
East TN Beard Buster

tomstopper

Cottonmouth

JK Spurs

I like my turkey well peppered

mgm1955

chatterbox

MouthCaller

Nice job.... I fully believe the all day part story aside... heard one or two at daylight and not a peep since... going to head home for some lunch and may try to get back at it this evening

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

njdevilsb

Congrats.  That's a nice end to a long day of hunting.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

kyturkeyhunter4

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase