turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Arkansas WMA's

Started by ilbucksndux, April 02, 2016, 09:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilbucksndux

I have been thinking about going to Arkansas this month to hunt. Thinking about a WMA that does not require a special permit. Gonna stay for a week and either camp or stay at a buddies cabin. I was just thinking that during the weak it should not be that crowded. I plan on taking a boat so I can get away from most of the crowds if there are any. I guess I'm asking how crowded does areas like Dave Donaldson get during the week ?
Gary Bartlow

Dropnflop71

Lots of folks to deal with on the wma's in Arkansas but hunting during the week will thin them out after the first week . Not sure of the bird population in the black River area . I'd look at the Ozarks around the Buffalo river area and the ouachitas from Mena east to Jesseville. The overall population seems to be up somewhat better than the last few years . It's a good place overall but it will be some work . Good luck !

Spurs

Tuesday through Thursday you will likely be by yourself, but as already said, lots of turkey hunters around these parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!

Doekila

Do you have Any idea what part of Arkansas you will be hunting, or prefer to hunt?
If you go to AGFC.com and look at the harvest by county map I think that it'll give you some good direction & help you make your decision easier.   But if you decide to hunt the south central part of the state pm me & I'll do the best that I can to help.   

Triple Gobble

Haven't ever hunted there at that particular
Wma, but kill a lot if birds in the ozark national
Forest.  Turkey populations are real spotty all
Over arkansas, some places there will be great
Populations, other places there won't be a bird for
A mile.  You just need to put some boot rubber down
And you'll find some.  If you decide to go to the NF
During the week or even weekend, there are a lot of
Places to get away from the crowds.  Get off the beaten
Path( 4 wheeler trails) and go places where you or no one
Else really wants to go.  Then start there.  Good luck, I have
Hunted a lot of different states and these public land birds here
Can be tougher than any.
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

ilbucksndux

Thanks for the responses. I was looking at the places that I know pretty well from duck hunting,and I have friends in the area that could lead me in hte right direction,however now Im thinking about going a little farther west,or maybe even scrapping the Arkansas idea and heading to Tennessee. I have several private places there that have little hunting pressure that I have been invited to several times. The 4 birds there look pretty good !
Gary Bartlow

Gumby

Just my opinion but there are other states with easier opportunities. Population is down here and they get hammered pretty hard. Going during the week wouldn't be too bad as far as trying to avoid hunters but you might be surprised how many people you still run in to. Most the better WMA are a permit draw for the opening weekend.

Izzyjoe

I'm pretty sure all WMA are permitted, at least the ones I hunt, and 4wheelers on the trails is a no no. Bird pops are spotty, the biggest number of birds usually are on private land that no one can hunt, at least that's been my luck. And common curtesy is lost in time, if you find a bird, chances are two other guys will walk up and try to get between you and bird! Many times its tough hunting public land, and it tries ones paitence.

turkeyspur

Not to mention you only have 16 days to make it happen, weather permitting...

Spurs

Pretty much...Arkansas game and fish has 0 ambition at taking the turkey population seriously.  They shortened season, fail to plant/burn/cut for diversity, and have not attempted to contact states like Missouri, Mississippi, or Alabama to get some help....AND when I called them and ask "Why Not?" I get talked down to and diverted. 

I plan on calling each commissioner this year to speak my mind in more detail and get some solid answers.

This year is going to suck!!!

Izzyjoe

I feel you're pain! It's the same thing for deer, and now we have had several cases of cwd, so Im wondering what there plans are to combat that issue.

jg

the northern part of the state has the sylamore wma thats openthe second week its big and spread out .after the first week you will have it to your self
Ozark beard busters

HogBiologist

Quote from: Spurs on April 04, 2016, 07:26:02 PM
Pretty much...Arkansas game and fish has 0 ambition at taking the turkey population seriously.  They shortened season, fail to plant/burn/cut for diversity, and have not attempted to contact states like Missouri, Mississippi, or Alabama to get some help....AND when I called them and ask "Why Not?" I get talked down to and diverted. 

I plan on calling each commissioner this year to speak my mind in more detail and get some solid answers.

Interesting take on that.  So your are saying the AGFC does not care about wildlife?  Interesting statement, considering we do care.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Ozarks Hillbilly

I know a lot of folks in Southern Missouri are watching the CWD in Arkansas closely. MDC has spent millions on Elk restoration project here in Southern Missouri sounds like that may be in jeopardy shortly and of course Whitetail deer are a big revenue as well.   

cuttinAR

I was camping in the area a couple weeks ago and if the numbers are not hurting yet.  One biologist thought based on the area impacted CWD must have been around for at least 10 years.  I question that because of the negligible impact in observed numbers and also harvest.  I'd guess it has just recently arrived and is spreading quickly.  If it has been around for 10 years then look out, it will be everywhere.  Deer are harvested from the public land in that area and transported all over for cleaning and disposal.  Big big problem brewing.