OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Preserving til after work

Started by Dmason3, April 02, 2016, 08:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmason3

I'm gonna try and hunt before work this week and may be pressed for time. Is it possible to get one down and maybe put it in a freezer or on ice until I get off work and devote more time for it? Obviously I can Breast it out in no time but have been debating on trying to cape a turkey out this year and would really like to try. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D-roy

In the past, I've actually gutted them, bought a bag of ice, and stuffed them, I haven't done this in years though. Just cut a big hole around the vent, reach in, and pull most everything out. Then stuff with ice. There's likely a better way though. You could probably just breast/leg one out like normal and ice it down good and be as well off.

spaightlabs

No problem at all, gut it, put some ice in the cavity and put the bird on ice in the cooler.

If you are going to cape it later put a garbage bag or other barrier over the ice in the color before you put it in there.

good luck!

catman529

I'd pull the guts out and put a small bag of ice in the cavity. Then the whole bird in a big cooler of ice, or put it between two big bags of ice if you don't have a cooler big enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk