OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good choke for Flite Control Wads?

Started by mcgruff1533, April 02, 2011, 12:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgruff1533

I'm sitting on a rather large stash of Federal Mag-Shok lead loads which are 3.5"-2oz-#6 shot and are loaded with the Flite Control Wad.

I originally bought some Carlson's non-ported tubes in .660'' and .670" E.D. and found they actually performed worse than my ported Mossberg .670" X-Factor tube.      I've read and followed all the suggestions ranging from shooting more open, non ported tubes but found my best patterns came from a .660" Indian Creek BDS tube... right up until the point that it split at the port.

I know these shells are capable of performing in my Mossberg 535 with a 20" barrel because I've seen what they can do with my Indian Creek choke.     However, I won't shoot FCW equipped shells through my new IC choke once it arrives because it's not worth the trouble of busting another one.

So here's the question:    Who has shot FCW equipped shells and had positive results with them?    Also, what choke were you using?

nyhunter

Give Rob Roberts from GobblerGuns a call and talk with him,I think he has shot those flight control wad shell's through his chokes with good results.  Pure Gold makes a choke just for those flight control shells to. I believe it's called a "Tempest" not sure my spelling is correct.

Skeeterbait

It needs to be a non-ported choke.  The ports chew up the fins on the FC wad and at worst case can possibly damage some chokes.  Try them in your flush chokes or factory non-ported chokes first.  Might be good enough.

mcgruff1533

I tried FCW's in my factory flush Modified choke and the pattern was horrible.

There was no defined pattern core, and the pellets were just scattered all over the board.    I'll look into the Pure Gold Tempest, and I certainly hope it will outshoot the non-ported Carlson's tubes that I bought in hopes of getting better patterns.

mcgruff1533

Those Pure Gold Tempest chokes sound pretty interesting.     Anybody know how they would perform with conventional wads and lead, or even H13 shells?

TLT

My brother and I both use Carlson ported .665 turkey chokes with FC Mag Shok 3.5 " #5 or #6 2 oz. shot. I shoot a Winchester Super X 2 he shoots a Benelli Nova inside 60 yards a Gobbler doesnt even know what hit him. As most others do we like to getem in as close as possible but if need be we can get the job done out to 50-60 yards.I dont think the porting is as much an issue as much as shooting  a choke that is too tight that is the main problem no proof of such just my opinion based on my experience trying different loads chokes guns etc. I have shot  non ported chokes with absolutely no difference in pattern density or consistency. Although we both prefer to shoot lead we have tried many HTL loads for no other reason than to say that we have done it. I also shoot 2 1/4 oz FC Mag Shok in #6 shot they work well also. I have never used IC chokes simply because for what we do the Carlson ported chokes are outstanding. Im sure there are other combos out there that work as well but this is what we have both found and if it aint broke dont fix it is something we live by. I also have a Mossberg 500 with a .665 ported Truglo choke it throws a really nice pattern with any load just as the Carlson .665. Any tighter with the 500 and the pattern goes away. You may want to try one of those in your 535. Dont mean to ramble just my 2 cents and good luck with your choke tube search

mcgruff1533

Thanks TLT...  I have tried multiple other chokes ranging from .660" Carlsons, .665" Undertaker to a .670" Carlsons.

Of the 3 chokes, the Undertaker was the best which only put 190 #6 pellets in a 10" circle at 32.5 yards.   For some reason, my 535 does not like Carlson's chokes and I've sold both of them as a result.   

TLT

My brother has a Browning A-500G he has killed a couple gobblers with using a .665 Undertaker with the Invector thread. I believe anything smaller than a .665 is no good in the Invector thread. Again just our experience with lead. Hope you fine something that works for you let us know

TLT

mcgruff1533

I've chatted with Clark about this issue at length and I'm probably going to end up buying a Wright's choke from him.      Even with my short 20" barrel, Clark thinks it will deliver outstanding FC Wad patterns with the .670" E.D.

I sure hope he's right because I'm getting tired of buying and trying different chokes.

chcltlabz

I had great patterns with the FC and a Wadwizard Supreme.  Choke is satisfaction guaranteed, so if it doesn't give you what you're looking for, send it back.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

coyotetrpr

I had been using the original Mad Max choke for years with the fc wads with great success. The hevi bug bit me so I have since switched. I have no 10 inch circle numbers for them, but I would get 45 to 55 vital hits at a long stepped 40 yds.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

apollo11

Turlock non ported!!!  Order a couple that you think will work, and send back the ones you like the least.  I love their 60 day return policy.  I am using a .670 for FC 2 1/4oz, #5, plated lead at 1100 f/s.  Works great.
Bad decisions make good stories.

TalksToTurkeys

NEF 10 gauge with factory non ported .710 choke eats FCW'S for lunch.

Bwk

mcgruff1533

I just bought a Wright's choke that was designed with input from our very own Clark Bush.    I'll be testing the .660" and .670" E.D.'s will hopefully find an answer to my problems.