turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

VA youth success..with video 4-2-16

Started by Vaturkeyhntr, April 02, 2016, 04:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

Took my 8 year old nephew on his first turkey hunt this morning and the turkey gods were good to us.  The morning started slow with only 1 gobble heard on the roost, but that soon changed.  2 birds fired up on their own once on the ground and were gobbling on their own every couple minutes, after pinpointing them we repositioned.  While repositioning the birds gobbled and had cut the distance in half, so we hurried and scrambled to setup.  Once setup I let out a yelp and was quickly cut off by both birds at about 100 yards.  A couple minutes passed and I spotted 2 longbeards coming straight for us and they had locked onto the DSD jake and hen we had out at about 20 yards.  LET THE CHAOS BEGIN, both longbeards came straight for the jake and a whoopin ensued.  Both longbeards beat the jake til they knocked him off the stake, my nephew was surprisingly a lot calmer than I would of been and watched the show til they separated for a clean shot.  Finally the strutter separated himself and he let loose, flattening him at 20 yards. 

I've been apart of a lot of awesome hunts, but this by far will sit a the top of my list for a long long time.
Not to bad for a first bird....
21 3/4lbs, 9 7/8in beard, 7/8in spurs

https://youtu.be/GTy26btrts4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like an awesome hunt!!! Congrats to you both!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Hookinembig

Tell your nephew congrats on the bird. Sound like the ole DSD jake may need some repair. Thanks for sharing!

Bowguy

Awesome story, awesome bird n a great pic, blood on his pants n all! Congrats to the little man n his uncle

SS Calls

Way to get it done guys!!!  :icon_thumright:

njdevilsb

Awesome.  Congrats all around.  Nice bird.

spurz

Way to go! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilbucksndux

Good job !  What kind of site do you have on that gun ?
Gary Bartlow

bmhern

That's the future of this sport!  Congrats to both of you!!!!!       :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

tomstopper

Quote from: bmhern on April 02, 2016, 08:43:46 PM
That's the future of this sport!  Congrats to both of you!!!!!       :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Couldn't have said it any better. Congrats to you all.

hobbes

Congrats to you and the nephew.

TauntoHawk

Boy that birds as big as the boy, congrats to the mighty hunter!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JK Spurs

I like my turkey well peppered

Cottonmouth

owlhoot