OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can only hunt to noon in the Northeast

Started by turkaholic, April 02, 2016, 02:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkaholic

Most states in the northeast you need to be done hunting by noon. Just wondering how you guys do it? Out of the woods by noon or done hunting by noon? Many areas I hunt in NY can be a hour or more hike to get back to the truck at 12. I used to rush back for the bell to ring but now I just pull the lead out of my gun and enjoy the walk back. I don't think it's a violation but it's  not that clear. If my gun is unloaded and it's not that late I would think it would be allowed. I hope not to find out the hard way.
live to hunt hunt to live

Phire Phite

That's also why it's called legal shooting hours.  You can be walking out of the woods after noon.  Of course all that depends on who might give you a problem and what kind of mood they're in.

Tunaguy

I know where your coming from. I also hunt NY ( Sullivan Co) and have to quit at noon. If I'm still in the woods I just unload. I don' t think your breaking any laws that way. The crummy part is that I only lease land there and don't have a place to stay. If I'm hunting more than one day it's back to the motel. Home is 2 1/2 hours away.
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

SteelerFan

Walking out with an unloaded shotgun, and calls tucked away should not be a problem. Years ago, I believe WV had a regulation which required you to be out of the woods by 1:00? But I'm not sure if they still do? Pennsylvania, Maryland do not. They just list legal hunting hours end at noon for the 1st part of the seasons. (all day last couple weeks - both States)

As long as you are not hunting, walking out at 12:30 unloaded is NO different than walking out at dark-thirty after a deer hunt.

RutnNStrutn

I hunt until hunting hours are over. Then I unload my gun and walk back to the truck. Never had an issue with the game wardens.

Bowguy

In NJ they give you an hour to make it out of woods. Last two weeks are all day anyway

doublespurs21

here in ohio, same hunt to noon.  I always thought that you hunt to 11.59am. unload gun and walk out. never heard anything different,   I put the shells in my pocket and not carring them in my hand,

TauntoHawk

I've only ever hunted States with close at noon, except now PA let's you second half of the season.. I'd love too get all day hunting in NY

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

outdoors

YUP ITS LIKE THAT HEAR'N THE SOUTH IF YOU HUNT TO THE LAST HOUR , HIGH NOON , YOU UNLOAD YOUR GUN
IVE HUNT SOMETIMES TO A HOUR BEFOR THE END AND START WALKING OUT WHILE CALLING
GO BACK TO CAMP EAT SOME LUNCH AND BS WITH OTHERS AND WHEN THERES ABOUT THREE HOURS OF LIGHT LEFT I GO SCOUTING FOR THE NEXT DAY ........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Dr Juice

As mentioned by Tunaguy, NY daily hunts ends at noon. I hunted many states, and NY has the absolute poorest conservation plan compared to all of the other states I have hunted.

bmhern

Quitting time on public land is 1:00 here in NW FL, but private land it's open till dark. That just don't seem right, but that's how it is. As long as you unload your gun you are OK coming out.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 02, 2016, 03:16:24 PM
Walking out with an unloaded shotgun, and calls tucked away should not be a problem. Years ago, I believe WV had a regulation which required you to be out of the woods by 1:00? But I'm not sure if they still do? Pennsylvania, Maryland do not. They just list legal hunting hours end at noon for the 1st part of the seasons. (all day last couple weeks - both States)

As long as you are not hunting, walking out at 12:30 unloaded is NO different than walking out at dark-thirty after a deer hunt.

Unless it's changed this year, that rule still applies. Legal hunting is over by noon. Must be out of the woods by 1. I'd like to see that changed but I've got zero pull with the guys that do the legislation.

Cutt

In PA Spring Season is till noon only the first 2 weeks, then all day the last 2 weeks. When till noon only the handbook says " Hunters are asked to be out of the woods by 1pm". I guess they are only asking hunters to be, because they can't police all activity like hikers, shroom hunters that don't have to be out by 1pm.?

Marc

We face the same issues with duck hunting.  Unload the gun at noon; not only so you do not get into trouble, but to avoid temptation. :goofball:

As a side note, if you have to leave a hot bird with plans to hunt the next day...  Get out quickly, and try calling as you leave (as if you are leaving him)...  I have found that sometimes they come in a bit quicker the following day. ;D
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

chatterbox

NH has hunting till noon. I unload at noon, and just tuck my calls and shells away.
Nobody has ever bothered me while doing that.