turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

For the guys using packs instead of vests

Started by TauntoHawk, April 02, 2016, 02:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Just thought I'd share this I know some guys are using backpacks instead of vests. I plan to use my badlands ultraday instead of the vest for the majority of my hunts this season. I added a few call specific pockets on the waist belt and a  cargo hub bungee that allows me to carry a decoy without anything extra over the shoulder or in my hands.

I will use a decoy bad so I don't have a turkey look alike bounce around on my back in the woods this is just for the picture.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

backwater

I like it.  Would look even better with a DSD strapped to it.  Just kidding. 

TauntoHawk

Quote from: backwater on April 02, 2016, 02:50:24 PM
I like it.  Would look even better with a DSD strapped to it.  Just kidding.
Haha they all do pretty good, honestly I really like the avians for the way I hunt and how little I actually use decoys. Generally only run them when I'm calling for someone else and want to help get a bird in the right spot or in a little closer.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I feel like a vest lends far mor accessibility to things and has a more functional layout.

Bungee cording decoys to a backpack which then virtually prevents access to the contents seems like a counterintuitive idea.

Can someone explain why they are using this system instead of a vest and what advantages it has?

catman529

Good looking setup...id cover the decoy so nobody shoots at you. This year I'm not even carrying a bag. Just cargo pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

Looks like you did your research...  Could you load a bird on that bungee setup?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Marc on April 02, 2016, 09:21:53 PM
Looks like you did your research...  Could you load a bird on that bungee setup?
Yeah it's strong probably plenty strong enough it would but I have a turkey tote id use

I use the bungee system with my frame pack to add an extra dry bag for back  country camping

TauntoHawk

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 02, 2016, 08:59:10 PM
I feel like a vest lends far mor accessibility to things and has a more functional layout.

Bungee cording decoys to a backpack which then virtually prevents access to the contents seems like a counterintuitive idea.

Can someone explain why they are using this system instead of a vest and what advantages it has?
I have all my calls in Turkey specific pockets on my waist belt. The pack carries layers, water, coffee, food, knife, rain gear. Stuff that I'm not accessing constantly but there's really no where good to put in a vest. On this pack I can actually get into about all but one pocket with the decoy on. The set up is clipped on with small carabiniers so it would also unclip in seconds if I wanted.

If I'm out all day this is going to handle gear way better than my turkey vest. I do use a vest often probably more but I also run this set up and know other guys run packs too.

I had the bungee system for backpacking and a few call pockets to slide on the waist belt were like $25.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: catman529 on April 02, 2016, 09:19:33 PM
Good looking setup...id cover the decoy so nobody shoots at you. This year I'm not even carrying a bag. Just cargo pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just for the picture it'll be in a decoy bag in the field Id never walk around with it out on my back like that. I hate being shot at really ruins the whole hunt

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 02, 2016, 10:04:38 PM

I have all my calls in Turkey specific pockets on my waist belt. The pack carries layers, water, coffee, food, knife, rain gear. Stuff that I'm not accessing constantly but there's really no where good to put in a vest. On this pack I can actually get into about all but one pocket with the decoy on. The set up is clipped on with small carabiniers so it would also unclip in seconds if I wanted.

If I'm out all day this is going to handle gear way better than my turkey vest. I do use a vest often probably more but I also run this set up and know other guys run packs too.

I had the bungee system for backpacking and a few call pockets to slide on the waist belt were like $25.

Makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for the explanation, Taunto.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 02, 2016, 10:16:26 PM

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 02, 2016, 10:04:38 PM

Makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for the explanation, Taunto.
I use a vest more, but I hunt a few public places miles deep and all day... If I'm running late I've been known to jog down logging roads to make a spot intime, pack handles way better than a vest flopping all over. If I'm driving around hunting small private spots I'll be in a vest

When my wife is with me I have double coffee and lots of layers like it's deer season cuz shes cold if it's 50 out in the am.