turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Camo guns

Started by brimmyfish, March 31, 2016, 06:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad815

A brown Wood stock and black tube is the same colors found in any woods-- turkey or deer will not know the difference between a gun or a tree branch.  If a hunter dressed head to toe in the best camo ever made sat in the woods with a non camo gun in hand and a critter peeked over the ridge at him.   The critter would not say to himself  "I don't see a human there but I do see a shotgun"--- movement movement movement. ----   I've never seen a deer or turkey in the woods yet spot a bright orange or yellow posted sign on a tree and run away scared from it.
-------   my opinion    --Web

Cottonmouth

I think as long as you are still, it doesn't matter. I like a camo finish mainly due to rust prevention.  I can look at a blued gun and make it rust. My cousin used a glossy finish Ruger red label for years. We nicknamed it "shine". Killed a pile of birds with it.

Bamalimbhanger

i had my gun cerakoted with 3 different colors. the cerakote protects from rust it also a dull finish

Dr Juice

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 31, 2016, 07:15:22 PM
He won't notice whether your gun is wood stocked, black, or camo.  He will notice if you move it or anything else at the wrong time.
X2

FXDWG

I have a camo gun and love it. That being said, I've killed a mess of turkeys with a plain old 870 and my son is stacking them up with a wood stock gun. I bought my camo gun because my 870 was too long to maneuver in the woods. Gotta admit, I like the looks of the camo.

tha bugman

I have heard the Foxx Haas of Mossy Oak said that if a turkey got close enough to see his gun he should be flipping!  I personally like it because of the ease of care.  All the extreme weather challenges we have in the south turkey hunting (rain, humidity etc.) I don't have to worry about my gun rusting by the time I get back to the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiefBubba

Camo is for people who can't sit still. Never been a fan of Black in the woods though. Funny thing is this one of the other hunters made a couple of blinds with that Black road fabric. Turkeys didn't seem to mind. Chief

stinkpickle

I would lose track of it when I lean it against a tree to take a leak.

lunghit

Quote from: ChiefBubba on April 05, 2016, 10:24:08 AM
Camo is for people who can't sit still. Never been a fan of Black in the woods though. Funny thing is this one of the other hunters made a couple of blinds with that Black road fabric. Turkeys didn't seem to mind. Chief
I am also not a fan of black in the woods. Black stands out a mile away from other colors. One of my trail cams came with a black strap and that was the only part really noticeable from a distance.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

mad815

Woods in the northeast are loaded with black color

Longshanks

I shoot both black and camo. I can tell you that a gobbler saw me yesterday morning. Don't know if it was the black gun but I was sitting on a big tree right at daylight, not moving, safety off, gun pointed at the gobbler. He was coming through some thick saplings on the side of the ridge and stopped looked hard and did an about face and went back where he was coming from. Turkey was two steps from dying. Had a Dave Smith hen decoy out which looks like the real thing.  Rest of the season I'm using every advantage I can. Full camo.

natman

Do you need a camo gun? Not in the sense that you can't kill a turkey without one, but it helps. A matte gun is better than a shiny blued one and a camo gun is better still.

Camo won't help you if you can't sit still, but it won't help you if you stand up and shout while banging pots together either. Sit still AND wear camo.

Sealbilly

I had a camo M1 loved it and traded when I was having problems with my shoulder.  I got a black Browning gold, the turkeys didn't mind.  I doubt any turkey would has  a preference of what finish was on the gun that was gonna be used in his execution. :OGani:

wvmntnhick

Wel, for years, my turkey gun of choice had a stainless steel finish. Never bothered me much and the turkeys didn't complain as I loaded them into the back of my vest. If anyone is concerned about the finish on the gun, it's the guy holding the receipt.

Dr Juice

Camo patterns are not very important to me. As long as the gun does not reflect light, I'm good to go. Prey animals get going when they can pick up movement especially from gun glare. Good luck all.