turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Camo guns

Started by brimmyfish, March 31, 2016, 06:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brimmyfish

Im sure that it has been asked numerous times here, but I would like to see what most people think about the color of your shotgun. Do you feel that you need camo? I have personally killed birds with guns with stocks in wood, black, and camo, but I was wondering what others opinions on this matter were. I know some people that wouldnt be caught dead in the woods without a leafy suit from head to toe, but they dont mind hunting with an all black shotgun. On the other hand, I have saw numerous times that people killed turkeys while wearing a camo shirt and brown pants, but they swear you have to have a certain camo pattern on your gun. Not really wanting to start an argument, just curious about what others think about this.

Thanks

Bowguy

I've shot em w all kinds of guns w all types of camo. Breaking up your silhouette is good making you fuss over camo type is a result of business marketing

hs strut

i dont feel you need a camo shotgun i hunted with a 870 when i was a kid and it was a wood stocked plain 20 gauge ive even taken a tom wearing a pair of blue jeans and a brown shirt.i believe keeping movement to a minimum is key.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

WisTurk

I don't really think having a gun camo'd is all that important.  As long as it isn't too shiny (light reflecting off it can alarm them) and you keep movement to a minimum, a gun that doesn't have camo on it will be just fine.  I shot several with my old 870 without it.

Ihuntoldschool

He won't notice whether your gun is wood stocked, black, or camo.  He will notice if you move it or anything else at the wrong time.

brimmyfish

Im along the same lines of thinking as most of yall. I have a black franchi affinity 20 gauge, that I use as a backup on occasion. I had thought about buying the camo version when I bought it, but at the time I couldnt justify the extra cost. Having one dipped is an option, but I dont really think that it is necessary. My first longbeard was killed with an older Remington 870 Express Magnum 20 gauge with a wood stock, and the gobbler didnt seem to mind. I think I'm just going to leave it black synthetic for now. 

BINK McCARTY

:funnyturkey:BIGGEST advantage to camo is protection from the elements....I mean whatever did folks do b4 camo guns????

SteelerFan

Hunters like camo guns. Turkeys, ducks, geese, deer, etc. really don't have a preference as to what they get shot with.

maytom

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 31, 2016, 07:15:22 PM
He won't notice whether your gun is wood stocked, black, or camo.  He will notice if you move it or anything else at the wrong time.

I agree with IHOS!!!

sierra6

Camo is not necessary.  Being still is. 
"When the Turkeys ain't gobblin, it's tough to make em stop!"

OldSchool

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 31, 2016, 07:15:22 PM

I couldn't agree more. :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

BrowningGuy88

Camo is for us!

I love it but it is not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longislandloco

Camo.........how much money did it/does it make for gun companies and hunting apparel companies, sill like my old Wingmaster best. When all the guns are leaning on a stand it's easy for me to find mine.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

decoykrvr

The dipped camo guns shine more than a parkerized or bead blasted blued shogun.  Any slick finish on a shotgun metal or wood will reflect light and shine especially when moved.  There is a very good reason why military snipers don't utilize dipped camo finishes, but utilize flat paint jobs and cloth camo.  A turkey may spook and run off, but they don't shoot back!

reynolds243

Quote from: SteelerFan on March 31, 2016, 07:55:29 PM
Hunters like camo guns. Turkeys, ducks, geese, deer, etc. really don't have a preference as to what they get shot with.

Exactly