OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Boonie or baseball hat style

Started by kdfester, March 29, 2016, 09:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdfester

I have seen a good many older turkey hunter around here prefer a boonie or brimmed hat style. Does this offer many advantages or just preference? What do you wear (style and pattern)?

Happy

I wear both it it is really just whatever I feel like wearing that day. No real reasoning behind it for me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Most of the time i just wear a camo baseball cap..because on those cool morning i like wearing a toboggan stretch over my cap like this morning it was 37 deg. as i left the truck. As far as color i wear like Realtree and mossy oak or whatever a salesman has gave me for free...a lot of the time just setting in my blind it has a lot to do with the weather if i'm just wearing the toboggan or cap...

tomstopper

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

howl

Boonie shades your face better. If you wear glasses it will keep you from getting busted when the sun shines from the back to where it would light your lenses up if you were wearing a ball cap.

tha bugman

Quote from: howl on March 30, 2016, 05:26:44 AM
Boonie shades your face better. If you wear glasses it will keep you from getting busted when the sun shines from the back to where it would light your lenses up if you were wearing a ball cap.
+1 shade is why I wear a boonie duck hunting as well.  I wish I could find an Ol Tom boonie in bottomland size medium. They have the mask built in. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

SteelerFan

Both, actually. Ball cap walking... Boonie with built-in facemask when set up on a bird. Boonie / mask combo more comfortable than a separate mask for me. Ball cap w/ mesh back for comfort while walking.

kdfester

Quote from: howl on March 30, 2016, 05:26:44 AM
I've never thought of that. I've had birds that I feel the glare off my glasses spooked so I will try this this year. For those times I set up wrong on a ridge top with the sun at a bad angle.

Yoder409

Ball cap

And usually backwards unless I'm looking directly into the sun.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

...........or sideways if the rally cap is called for.         ;D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

shaman

I'm a big-brimmed boonie fan, and have been using one for over 30 years.

Back when I started turkey hunting, there were not dedicated turkey hunting clothes.  What I started using was a section of camo netting tied to each side of my boonie hat and flipped down over my face like a veil.  When I'm out walking, the veil lays back over the top of my head.  When I sit down, I pile it on top.  As a result, if a turkey shows up, all I have to do is dip my head and the veil falls down.

I tried a bunch of other ideas over the years, but one thing I noticed with most other methods is that my glasses fog up. Camo masks and such hold my breath close to my face, and it causes my glasses to fog.  The veil is held out away from my face by the brim of the boonie hat.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

TauntoHawk

wool brimed beanie when its cold, ball cap when its warm
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

trkehunr93

Used a boonie hat for a few years but felt like it muffled sounds to much and when I moved my head it always rubbed on my jacket collar.  baseball cap for me