turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thoughts or review on Avian.....

Started by danpsunurse, March 29, 2016, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danpsunurse

Any thoughts or reviews on the Avian-X LCD squatting hen?  I thought of purchasing this decoy, but don't really want to waste money if don't have too.  I have the look out and feeder.  Also thought of the breeder, but I was really curious about the squatting hen.

Thanks you.   

Greg Massey

I have the feeder and i really like this decoy also i just got the lay down hen that's out this year and it's a real nice decoy..you can use it like a hen dusting or with a 3/4 jake over the top of it...

fallhnt

I have a DSD hen that I can put on the ground as a hen ready to breed. Can you do that with your A-x ?
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Greg Massey

It's sad that a person as for reviews on this site and some people want to throw unwanted sarcasm about some other kind of decoy...Okay Fallhnt...we understand you have a DSD hen...but a lot of use don't ...

Farmboy27

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 29, 2016, 08:15:18 PM
It's sad that a person as for reviews on this site and some people want to throw unwanted sarcasm about some other kind of decoy...Okay Fallhnt...we understand you have a DSD hen...but a lot of use don't ...
I agree. A simple question about a decoy and someone has to turn it into a product p&&@ing match!  Although I don't use it much, I do have an avian breeder hen. It's collapsible but not as compact as a lot of older decoys. But it looks 10 times more realistic than any other decoy I have owned and is still more pack able than any DSD decoy. DSD decoys look great too but are not collapsible and are more money. Avian x's are leaps and bounds above the old foam decoys that were and still are used effectably.   If you want a good decoy I think an avian x will serve you well.

wvmntnhick

You can actually modify a stake and use the lookout as a breeder. No different than the old foam decoys that had the multi-position holes so one could position them as breeders, feeders and lookout's. Having said that, before I'd buy the laying hen, I'd buy the breeder. I've got one and like it quite a bit.

fallhnt

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 29, 2016, 08:15:18 PM
All I was asking was,can you put a A-x on the ground like I can my DSD? I don't know because I owned a DSD before A-x was even selling decoys.If so you can save money that way.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

kwcb12

You can.  I have an avian x breeder and when I want the laydown look with a jake I just fold the legs under her and lay it on the ground with no stake.  Have used this several times with success.

Planner

I have the avian X breeder hen. I like the size and realistic look. It's been used to shoot two longbeards this year. I use it paired with a Jake decoy... Which is a DSD. Eeek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Can't say that I have used it but the Avian Laydown Hen looks like a hen being bred, not like one ready to get bred... What I mean by the this is her body is flattened out (how she would look with the weight of a tom on her back) and her head is held high. A hen that is ready to be bred is tucked in until the tom mounts her and then her body language changes. Now if you are putting a jake/tom right on her back it would look "right". Seen this a lot with the domestic turkeys we raised on the farm. If I were trying to pick one I would have the Breeding Hen and short stake her if I wanted the "Breeding Position"

Here's a couple of pics that show the difference...

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

We all understand what your were trying to say ...Fallhnt...next time maybe you need to ask in a better way..we are all hunters on this site for the most part, that want to share stories and help our fellow hunters...

Marc

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 29, 2016, 09:45:54 PM
We all understand what your were trying to say ...Fallhnt...next time maybe you need to ask in a better way..we are all hunters on this site for the most part, that want to share stories and help our fellow hunters...

I read it the way he meant it...  (Probably cause I was wondering the same thing seeing what appears to be longer legs on the Avian hens). 

It can be tough to put tone or expression into the "typed" word.  Had he asked the question verbally using the same exact verbiage, I would guess there would be no misunderstanding.

Personally, as expensive as these decoys are, I would prefer a decoy with a bit more versatility....  I purchased the leading hen (cause it was on sale, and that was all that was available), and it works well on a stake, or on the ground as a breeder.  My first choice was actually the upright hen, but given the opportunity again, I would stick with the leading hen (cause it is a bit more versatile).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

dantheman

i use my lookout hen flat on the ground with the quarter strut jake coming in from behind with good success. bird I killed last year came into a flock 2 avian hens 2 carrylight hens. he didnt ignore the ugly carrylight hens so I guess you never know. Must have had his beer goggles on

learn2hide

I've had great luck with Avian X Jake and Breeder Hen combo, killed several with that set up.  I bought a laydown hen this year to pair with my King Strut with Jake Fan which has also killed several.  There are lots of good decoys out there and techniques.  I think the Avians look great.  Only issue I had one start to leak inside the stake support and i tried all I could to fix and have had poor luck.  It inflates but then loses a little air over an hour or two but it still kills em :-) Good luck with your season and decision.
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

beakbuster10

The avian x lay down hen is awesome. I picked on up this year. I'm going to tuck it under a half strut Jake or strutter when blind hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk