turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 20 gauge turkey factory choke

Started by jm_middleton07, March 28, 2016, 01:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jm_middleton07

I purchased this gun about a month ago. It has the fiber optic sights and the x-factor choke.  I'm new to shotguns but wanted to try turkey hunting this year. I was thinking if I bought one setup for turkey hunting then I would be ready to go. I purchased some Winchester xx 3" No5's, federal 3" strut shock no5's and some federal premium flight control 3" No6's 1 1/4oz. I also have a box of 2 3/4" target loads. I shot all of these out of a gun rest and none of them had over 80 in a 10" at 30 yards. The flight control was the worst. The strut shock had the best pattern but it was high and to the right. The winchesters where all high and to the right. The target loads shoot more centered than the turkey loads. I'm just frustrated. I'm starting to think the factory choke sucks or I haven't wasted enough money on shells yet. I'm using a 40x40 target and drawing a 10" circle around the dense part of the pattern. Should I just purchase another choke or should I try a different shell? I can post pics of my patterns later this evening after work.

stringtalker

What size is your factory choke and go buy you some federal heavyweight #7's and you should be fine
Douglas

jm_middleton07

It is an x-full turkey .584. The owners manual says to shoot lead only out of it.

cluck

First of all clean the barrel with a brass brush really good. Then run a alcohol soaked rag or patch through the barrel several times. Get all the oil and solvent out. Then use some dry patches to completley dry it all out. That can make some difference in your pattern. I would use the cheap shells to adjust the sights. Startting at about twenty yards then move to thirty. Thirty or thirty five is about the max for the shells you have. If you want a forty yard pattern buy the federal heavy weight number 7 shot. They are not cheap but will give you a much tighter pattern. Just don't give up on it.    Cluck :turkey2:

cluck

P.S.  You have a good choke. It's possible that if you can get the federal heavy weight 7 she'll with 1 1/2 ounce  of shot, 3 inch, you will like it. It's the best shell out . Your set up will out shoot a lot of twelve gauge shotguns.     Cluck

wvspitndrum

If the owners manual says lead only , then I would only shoot lead out of it , unless manufacturer tells me otherwise ! But that's me !

jordanz7935

Fed HW 7s will be fine out of that choke.They put lead only on chokes so you don't shoot large steel shot waterfowl loads out of them. That said, I would probably try tighter choke,.562-.575 range, they usually do best with HW7s.

jm_middleton07

Federal premium mag shock 3 inch 1 5/16oz #6 @ 30 YARDS

jm_middleton07

jm_middleton07

estate 2 3/4in 7/8oz 7 1/2 shot @20 yards. I was just goofing off with these and didn't put up any large paper.

jm_middleton07

estate 2 3/4in 7/8oz 7 1/2 shot @30 yards.

jm_middleton07

All of these where shot from a rest. I can't seem to find my other patterns. The wife might have trashed them by now. I'll try cleaning the gun like suggested and see if that makes a difference. The winchester double x patterned almost identical to the fed strut shok. I would really like to use what I have but if I need to purchase another choke then so be it. All advice appreciated.

vt35mag

If you end up going down the new choke road I would suggest an Indian Creek with .555 constriction. Does especially well with Hevi 13 #7, and throws decent lead patterns too. It has been a couple years since I counted, but I want to say I was getting 150-160 hits in a 10 in circle at 40yds with the Indian Creek and Hevi #7. It was no less than 140 I am sure of that.

I have a Primos Tight Wad .570 and federal heavy weights I have been dying to try, but it has been to cold for good patterning.

My gun is a Mossberg  500 Youth Model 20ga

chatterbox

I have a Mossberg 20 ga turkey thug.
I bought mine used. First thing I did was deep clean the barrel using Clark Bush's method you can find on www.allaboutshooting.com.
After that, I bought a Truglo SSX .550 choke, grabbed some Federal Heviweight 3-1.5-7's, and went to the range.
My little gun turned 152 in the 10" circle at 40 yards.
The most important thing is to deep clean that barrel, and get a good turkey choke. Oftentimes, you will need to get either a red dot, or a set of clamp on adjustable sights to correct POA/POI.
Those are good guns, and with a little tinkering, they can be real shooters!

vt35mag

Quote from: chatterbox on March 28, 2016, 07:50:09 PM
Oftentimes, you will need to get either a red dot, or a set of clamp on adjustable sights to correct POA/POI.

Mine had poa/poi issues out of the box. Shot way too high.