turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Someone help me with a load please

Started by Poleaxe, March 27, 2016, 10:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poleaxe

I need some advice about which load I should shoot.  Been hunting my whole life but just my second year turkey hunting.  I killed 3 last year but I just threw some shells someone gave me in my gun and shot em.  I wanted to be more knowledgeable on what my gun did this year.  I have already accepted that every load is gonna shoot low.  I just don't know if your trying to get as many pellets in a 10in circle at 40 or what your looking for?  The one is 3in federal heavyweight #7 and the other is 3&1/2 Longbeards #5. Also how many more pellets are in the 3's vs the 3 and halves?

hookedspur

I would ask this Question down in the Gun and load section you might get a better response
,but I like that Long beard target and it sure looks good for anything out to 40 yards..
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

trkehunr93

The standard use to be 100 in a 10" circle at 40 meant a dead turkey, with the advent of non-toxic loads it has become a race with some to see if they can get the entire payload in a 10" circle at 40 yards.  I personally like your top pattern but I would advise shooting it at 20 yards, lots can change at that distance.  20-30 yards will be your average shots, at least where I hunt, a gun that kills effectively at 40 is your buffer for those birds that hang up.  If you can add some aftermarket fiber optic sights or a scope, up to you, that should help you get you POI-point of impact and POA-point of aim in line.  Nobody wants to have to remember that I need to aim 5" above the turkeys head to kill it when your adrenaline is pumping.  My personal opinion is know your shot in the 10" circle but look at your pattern inside a 20" circle as well.  Turkeys have been known to move at the moment you shoot so I like to know what he's walking into to the left and right of that 10" circle as well.  They don't always stand perfectly still when it's hammertime.  As far as the pellet count in a 3" versus 3.5" will depend on the load but I imagine someone on here has more info. on that.  I hope this helps.