OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box Call Recommendations

Started by CoachK, March 27, 2016, 09:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

I'll give a shout out to a young man in Pa. that does nice work... Austin Hornberger. I have a field grade walnut over poplar that I love.

http://www.hornbergercustomcalls.com/box-calls.html

wvmntnhick

I'll give another plug for the fellas at SS. Couldn't bring myself to pay the price for a custom box until getting one of their scratch boxes in a trade. Then I couldn't see myself not giving them a chance. If I ever need another box, it'll be from SS. Well, to be fair, I've got a really nice Lonnie Mabry box call too. Both of which are super nice but I'd probably give the edge to SS. Just found it to suit my likings slightly better but make no mistake, both will bring about the death of some birds. My McKinnis box is nice too but I've found the sweet spot to be a bit narrower than I'd like. Still a great box but my money is on the guys at SS if I ever need another one.

M Sharpe

Looks like the fella done ordered him one from Al and Josh. They make some good ones!!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

SteelerFan

Quote from: Treerooster on March 28, 2016, 09:25:51 PM
Quote from: SteelerFan on March 28, 2016, 08:22:10 PM
I'll give a shout out to a young man in Pa. that does nice work... Austin Hornberger. I have a field grade walnut over poplar that I love.

http://www.hornbergercustomcalls.com/box-calls.html

X2

I have a maple over black limba field grade box from Austin. Love it. My buddy also got a call from Austin and he loves his too, can't remember the wood combo on his though.

Maybe I should put "Bronco Fan" in my sig line if I am going to quote this guy.  :toothy9:

Lol... I can respect that. (Cinncinati now, not so much  ;D )

goblr77

Get a Billy White Hustlin Hen. You won't regret it.

beakbuster10

I'd also add Mr. Jerry White (Dads Custom Box Calls) to the list. His purple heart over cedar checkered short box is all turkey and I won't leave home without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Jody gave you a good list of guys that make box calls that kill turkeys period. I just got another Albert Paul box call. Maple over mahogany.  I really like his box calls.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gooserbat

Well this year I've bought a Paul and an SS.  There's other great makers out there as well.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Dogwood1972

I just got back from Lonnie Mabry's shop in Georgia and couldn't be happier with the calls I received from him.

Cutt

I only got one box call, Billy Whites Hustlin Hen. Just don't carry many calls, normally a few mouth calls and a friction pot. So one box call is enough to take once in a while. And box calls are the number 1 call I hear on Gamelands, is the main reason I don't carry it much.

MattinIdaho

I'm exctited to be getting box calls from Frank Kruer and Chad Griep.