OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Flitecontrol wads

Started by Gtown78, March 27, 2016, 09:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gtown78

I have a box of the Federal heavyweight #7 for my 20ga. I have read on some of the waterfowl forums about the wads blowing up barrels. Has anyone here had any problems with them in their guns? I know when I'm waterfowl hunting I shoot a lot more and the chance of it happening is greater.

reynolds243

Never even heard of it, especially in the turkey gun world.  Haven't heard of it from any of the duck hunters I know either

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

owlhoot

Quote from: reynolds243 on March 27, 2016, 09:21:10 PM
Never even heard of it, especially in the turkey gun world.  Haven't heard of it from any of the duck hunters I know either

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka
x2

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Have 2 friends on the Eastern Shore that had barrels blow up from the flight control wads.

You cannot shoot a flight control wad through a choke with wad stops.  You won't hear stories about blown up barrels from turkey hunters because they don't shoot enough to exacerbate the problem and they also tend to clean their barrels more often than waterfowl hunters.  To put things in contrast, between patterning and killing turkeys. Most turkey guns won't have more than 200-300 rounds put through them for their duration of service.  A snow goose hunter will put that many rounds through his gun in 3 days of hunting when the migration is in full swing.  A duck hunter who hunts 3-4 days a week will put that many round through his gun in 4 weeks.

If you ever actually measure the diameter of a flight control wad you will find that it's wider than a standard 12 ga bore.  It's also horrifically rigid due to the dense plastic.  It's a finicky beast that causes anyone pursuing optimum performance with it fits.

catman529

I haven't heard of it. Only time I shot flite control, my POI was very low, probably due to the ported choke. I dont mess with those loads because it doesn't work with my setup.

wingbonehntr

Shot 2 of them last week and the whole wad went through the target at 40 yards. Blew a golf ball sized whole through 1/2" plywood

fallhnt

I like Flight Control shells. I read that you shouldn't use a ported choke for best performance.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

surehuntsalot

been shooting flight control wad shells since they first come out, have no problems with them
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

shaman

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 27, 2016, 11:54:47 PM
been shooting flight control wad shells since they first come out, have no problems with them

Same here.  I have been shooting lead Federal #4's for 20 years now.   I never had problems with them, but when I had to change chokes the last time, I switched to an unported Carlson's Dead Coyote. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

wvmntnhick

They will most certainly get stuck and blow the barrel. To avoid future problems, send me a pm and I'll give you an address in which you can send the ammunition to be properly destroyed.

Gamblinman

Quote from: wingbonehntr on March 27, 2016, 10:59:31 PM
Shot 2 of them last week and the whole wad went through the target at 40 yards. Blew a golf ball sized whole through 1/2" plywood

Yep..right through the paper. First bird I shot last week....found the wad laying right in front of the bird..a  real jellyhead..it was mush.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Greg Massey

I shot one of the federal heavy weight number 7 yesterday at 30 yards and it stuck into the target....that was from a 20 ga...

taylorjones20

Quote from: Gamblinman on March 28, 2016, 08:29:22 AM
Quote from: wingbonehntr on March 27, 2016, 10:59:31 PM

Yep..right through the paper. First bird I shot last week....found the wad laying right in front of the bird..a  real jellyhead..it was mush.

Wow!  Never heard of any problems with them either...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

SKFOOTER

All of these problems are evidently occurring with the 12 gauge loads.  That red wad is really stiff.  On the other hand, the white flight control wad in the 20 gauge loads is softer and much more pliable and a lot of hunters find that a ported choke has no ill effect on their pattern or the wad. 

wvmntnhick

You can say that again. 40 yards with a recently purchased pure gold 555 choke equals dead bird at 40 with the 20. I thought it patterned better than my 12 ga with any of the conventional stuff. Now, the TSS on the other hand, deadly stuff.