turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Middle Tennessee

Started by monty690, March 27, 2016, 05:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty690

I'm new to the area (DeKalb county) and could use some info. I thought that I had some private land lined up to hunt on but that's fallen through. So it looks like it'll be WMAs for me this year. I'm looking at Pea Ridge mostly. I'm sure I'll have to have a permit, but where do I get one and how much does it cost?
Thanks in advance

buzzardroost

Don't forget to look at the corps land around center hill lake. Go to a license agent and get a wma permit or get on TWRA's website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNReb

Welcome to TN!

Start here for WMA maps.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/topic/wildlife-management-area-wma-maps

Then browse through the TWRA guide to find the WMA regulations.

There's some land around Percy Priest that is easily accessible, but the areas I've looked at along 840 get a lot of pressure during deer season and I imagine turkey season is about the same. 

I'm not saying that anyone will give away their honey hole, but head over to TNDeer.com and join the forum there.  There's a lot of great folks there and I'm sure somebody would be happy to give you some better info.  We have a turkey hunting subforum there.

birdyhunter

Quote from: TNReb on March 27, 2016, 08:42:06 PM
Welcome to TN!

Start here for WMA maps.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/topic/wildlife-management-area-wma-maps

Then browse through the TWRA guide to find the WMA regulations.

There's some land around Percy Priest that is easily accessible, but the areas I've looked at along 840 get a lot of pressure during deer season and I imagine turkey season is about the same. 

I'm not saying that anyone will give away their honey hole, but head over to TNDeer.com and join the forum there.  There's a lot of great folks there and I'm sure somebody would be happy to give you some better info.  We have a turkey hunting subforum there.
I have hunted the areas you're talking about around Percy priest and you are right, it does get a ton of pressure. It has plenty of birds but you will have to fight for them. I killed a nice bronze color phase right off of 840 just last year.

TN Beard Buster

Check out AEDC. It's about an hour from you and they'll have hunts every weekend of season. Opening weekend will be Saturday and Sunday only. All other weekends will be Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Quite a few birds, but you gotta find them. Don't forget to sign in and out of each hunt tho.

catman529

Aside from your type 001 and big game gun licenses, you will also need a type 94 to hunt big game on WMAs. Grab a copy of the hunting guide from Walmart or wherever you buy your license, look for the pages labeled Region II WMAs, look through all the lands and it will tell you all the regulations for each area.

turkeyfoot

Permit hunts have done  been drew but remember for next year so can at least get point

monty690

Thank y'all a lot, this is the stuff that I was hoping for.
I lived in western Tennessee for a short while back in the 90s but always wanted to be in the area I'm in now. I finally got here back in August and hope that I'm here until Jesus comes back. I'm looking forward to that too, by the way.
Thanks again, and if you think of anything else, let me know.