turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Proper way to measure a spur?

Started by Marc, March 27, 2016, 02:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

What is the proper method to measure a spur?  With the rocky country I hunt, I rarely kill one over an inch, and I rarely see a pointed tip on the spurs...

This is the same spur with 2 different pictures.  Measuring from where the spur meets the leg to the tip of the spur (while not trying to take a cruddy picture), I get about 1.5 inches...  Just wondering if I am on the right track, or if I gave myself too much credit?

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

I just did a crude drawing, but this is my understanding and the way I measure them.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

fallhnt

Measure along the outside edge(the longest edge)
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

spaightlabs

Quote from: fallhnt on March 27, 2016, 02:50:38 PM
Measure along the outside edge(the longest edge)

This, measure along the outside of the curve with the flexible tape.

MK M GOBL

cja

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

reynolds243

Measure it with the right camera angle so it always adds 1/4-1/2" to whatever it really is!  At least that's how you send the pics to your friends :)

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

g8rvet

I need to remeasure some of my spurs.  I was shorting my spurs.  That looks like you measure along the outside arch. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Marc

Quote from: cja on March 27, 2016, 03:42:42 PM
That's 1 1/4 not 1 1/2in
You are correct sir...  Wishful thinking...  Not enough sleep...  Bad vision...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

tanna114

Quote from: hookedspur on March 27, 2016, 05:19:24 PM
Like This..

This is the correct way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

One of the problems with spur measurement that makes it difficult is that the spur "configuration" on any bird can vary a bit.  The point where the spur protrudes from the leg sometimes has a good deal of "quick" around the spur, making it difficult to determine just where the spur base starts. 

Also the base of the spur where it meets the leg can be quite convex on some spurs as compared to others.  The original measuring system indicated that the proper measurement was to be taken along the longest curve of the spur, but also from a point equivalent to the deepest point where the spur met the leg. 

In addition, some spurs actually have multiple curvature,...sort of a spiral rather than a straight curve.  That spur configuration, and how to measure it properly, has never been addressed satisfactorily, in my opinion. 

If those aren't enough complications already, another is added when spur tips are rounded rather than coming to a well-defined, sharp point.  Determining the exact tip of a rounded spur is often not as simple as it might seem.

All in all, spur measuring can be a bit subjective, depending on the person doing the measuring.  From what I have seen, a lot of spur measuring is just a WAG. 

drenalinld

Yes the convex shape on the inside of the leg usually adds 1/16" to 1/8" for many trying to do it correctly. Even with rounded tip you can get within 1/16". I hope I kill one with multiple curves that would be a great problem to have.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Treerooster on March 28, 2016, 01:43:27 AM
Screw the "along the curve" thing, this is the best way to measure spurs.

It results in more braggin rights and can win you a few contests.

1 7/8"...not bad...eh?

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  Hey, Gary, you could have made a full 2" if you had followed the curve of that spur!  Do it right next time.

I also think beards ought to be measured by just pushing the tape end into the breast as far as it will go.  To heck with that "measure to the base of the beard sheath" thing! 
....And while we're at it, weights oughta be calculated based on how many lead weights you can stuff down a bird's throat before weighing it!  ...And all weights must be taken with an old, rusty, spring-operated fish scale.  That's the only way to get a real accurate weight on a bird!
;D :toothy9: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :toothy9: ;D