turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Outfitters....Arghhh!

Started by GobbleNut, March 27, 2016, 01:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Questions to you guys that have hunted through outfitters because you needed access to a place to hunt somewhere:
Why is it that turkey hunting outfitters think that they are the world's foremost authorities on wild turkeys and also the best turkey callers on the planet? 
Why is it that they can't understand that many of us that go on expensive, out-of-state hunts already know how to hunt turkeys and how to call,...and just need access to a place to hunt?
Why is it that they don't understand that we don't want to spend a bunch of money to have them lead us around by the hand and have them to do all the calling?
Why is it they just can't get the hell out of the way and let us hunt turkeys the way we want to?....
Why is it that you can explain all of the above to them,...and then when you get there they still want to do exactly what you asked them not to do?...
Turkey hunting outfitters.....Arghhhh!!!
...End of rant....

Happy

I understand completely. Like you I want to be involved in every facet of the hunt and not just a trigger puller.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bigbird

Maybe because they don't want someone wondering all over their property or properties pushing the birds off on neighboring properties? And maybe they've been told this by others in the past and those persons didn't get a bird then they get on the web and run down their opporation?

fallhnt

I've always had good experience hunting with the outfitters I used. I had the run of 3 places when I showed up and even guided for one outfitter a couple times. But I'm bowhunting.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

spaightlabs

Quote from: bigbird on March 27, 2016, 02:10:05 PM
Maybe because they don't want someone wondering all over their property or properties pushing the birds off on neighboring properties? And maybe they've been told this by others in the past and those persons didn't get a bird then they get on the web and run down their opporation?

That's the reason right there. One of my good buddies runs a good sized operation in KS and NE - they'll kill 150 turkeys this year.

He has to hunt those birds all season long...and as much as you like calling, he doesn't want a calling contest going on and having birds get blown out.

He knows what works on his property.  He calls sparingly.  Maybe every 15 to 30 minutes and he tends to 'drop anchor' and stay in one spot.  In the past when he has let the guys who think they are  God's gift to truly hinting they call 10 times more than they need to.  They can't sit on one spot, and then when they decide to move they magically end up a mile off the property and he has to deal with the pissed off landowner...

GobbleNut

Maybe you misunderstood.  If a hunter specifically states what he is looking for in a hunt,...and the outfitter agrees to provide that, then he should do so.  If the outfitter cannot provide the type of opportunity the hunter is looking for, then he should just say so and the hunter can look for something more suitable.  Misrepresentation of what an outfitter is providing on a hunt is not acceptable, and it is especially not acceptable when the hunter spends a great deal of time and money to get there and the outfitter changes the agreed-upon parameters of the hunt.

JK Spurs

Guess I'm fortunate...Never had any of the problems you speak of with outfitters.
I like my turkey well peppered

bigbird

Sorry, I did misunderstand you. Re read the original post and didn't see any talk of an agreement of that.

owlhoot

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 27, 2016, 03:32:44 PM

Maybe you misunderstood.  If a hunter specifically states what he is looking for in a hunt,...and the outfitter agrees to provide that, then he should do so.  If the outfitter cannot provide the type of opportunity the hunter is looking for, then he should just say so and the hunter can look for something more suitable.  Misrepresentation of what an outfitter is providing on a hunt is not acceptable, and it is especially not acceptable when the hunter spends a great deal of time and money to get there and the outfitter changes the agreed-upon parameters of the hunt.
Agreed .

GobbleNut

Quote from: JK Spurs on March 27, 2016, 03:43:33 PM
Guess I'm fortunate...Never had any of the problems you speak of with outfitters.

Actually, I suspect the great majority of outfitters are probably just fine.  It is just that several of us just recently spent the better part of a week dealing with one that wasn't.  It is frustrating when you find yourselves in a situation where you spend most of your time wondering why you wasted your time and money to end up in a situation like that.  I suppose I just needed to blow off some smoke about the whole ordeal.

Gamblinman

When I talk to a new outfitter, I try to feel him out if he is a over manager type. I make it clear I'm looking for a semi-guided hunt...show me where the birds are, show me the property lines and get the hell out of the way. After that, a pillow to lay my head and a place to heat some food and I'm good. The least I ask of or expect, the happier I find the hunt.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

GobbleNut

Quote from: Gamblinman on March 27, 2016, 05:16:11 PM
When I talk to a new outfitter, I try to feel him out if he is a over manager type. I make it clear I'm looking for a semi-guided hunt...show me where the birds are, show me the property lines and get the hell out of the way. After that, a pillow to lay my head and a place to heat some food and I'm good. The least I ask of or expect, the happier I find the hunt.

Gman

Exactly.  ...And when you make that absolutely clear to someone and they say "yes, I understand and we will do it that way",...and then you show up and all of a sudden they want to micro-manage your hunt,...well, that does not set too well with some of us. 

When I go on out-of-state hunts, I go there to challenge my turkey hunting skills against the birds that live there.  I would rather go home empty-handed than to be force-fed the hunt by the outfitter and do nothing but pull the trigger when a gobbler shows up at some food plot that they have been habituated to going to.  If I can't kill a bird with my own calling skills and woods skills, I am happy to head for home afterwards with my tail tucked between my legs.  It is the quality of the hunt that is important, not just the shooting of a gobbler.

spaightlabs

Gobble nut - where were you and what kind of birds were you chasing?

I'm sorry your hunt didn't go the way you wanted.  Sounds like you did a good job communicating wth the outfitter and he just didn't hear what you were saying. 

My buddy the outfitter is a bit of a control enthusiast. He let's us do the self guided deal, but he also gets pizzed because he still wants us to do it his way, and we never listen - that's just what friends do.   ;D

He is a big an of sitting, anchors down, until 11.  I have A-D-D.  I have 60 minutes of patience, top, and I'm wheels up to make a move on a bird.

If you were in NE/KS or looking to go there I know another outfitter that definitely will let you do your own deal - put you on a patch of land and let you go. 

GobbleNut

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 27, 2016, 07:28:23 PM
Gobble nut - where were you and what kind of birds were you chasing?

I'm sorry your hunt didn't go the way you wanted.  Sounds like you did a good job communicating wth the outfitter and he just didn't hear what you were saying. 

My buddy the outfitter is a bit of a control enthusiast. He let's us do the self guided deal, but he also gets pizzed because he still wants us to do it his way, and we never listen - that's just what friends do.   ;D

He is a big an of sitting, anchors down, until 11.  I have A-D-D.  I have 60 minutes of patience, top, and I'm wheels up to make a move on a bird.

If you were in NE/KS or looking to go there I know another outfitter that definitely will let you do your own deal - put you on a patch of land and let you go.

You sound like me spaightlabs.   :TooFunny:
We were hunting Easterns,...but I would rather not divulge anything more.  I'm not trying to start a pissin' match with anybody,...just trying to present a "teachable moment" for both outfitters and hunters to make sure they understand each other before the hunt.  I think there are many of us that do not want to pay good money to "deer hunt" turkeys. 

I appreciate your offer about info in the NE/KS area.  I hope to make it up that way at some point in the future and may get in touch. 

MerriamMac

.... they make more money if they iclude lodging, meals, guides, etc.... got a outfitter here in Co that only charges a trespass fee of your interested, its a Merriam hunt.