OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpet advice needed

Started by Buzzkiller, March 26, 2016, 07:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzkiller

I am thinking of getting a couple of trumpet calls and would like to hear what you guys
recommend.  makers  woods acrylics and some of the better lower priced ones for a first timer.

The Woodsman

What do you consider low priced?

Vaughnrp2

Three guys on OG that make great trumpet calls for around $100 are Brian Mero, Jack Lewis(Pappy) and Crawdad. There are others but those three will give you a good starting point.

SteelerFan

...and Anthony Ellis (antnye)

PM sent also

West Augusta

A quality trumpet will shorten the Learning curve.
Brian Mero,  Del Crow and Robert Glover make real good ones at a reasonable price.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Spitten and drummen

I agree with the above. I would recommend billy buice osage with a #3 delrin mouth piece. You can buy extra mouthpieces and change the pitch of the call.his trumpets are 200.00 and extra mouthpieces are 25.00 but if you really want to learn it's a good deal. Simply change out mouthpieces and it's a different call. You have 4 mouthpieces it's like having 4 different trumpets.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

SteelerFan

^^^^ These guys are correct. I can vouch for quality = easier learning curve! :z-dizzy:

davisd9

Savduck

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mgm1955

Buice, Fetters, Mero, Buckner, Crawdad, Crow among many others.

Buzzkiller

Quote from: The Woodsman on March 26, 2016, 07:44:38 PM
around $100  I just don't see spending a lot on my first trumpet.
If I like them and get hooked then price is a different story

The Woodsman

Look at the Delrin Classic by Ralph Permar.

idratherb

in no order get a permar, hornstra and cox

M Sharpe

Quote from: Buzzkiller on March 26, 2016, 09:47:51 PM
Quote from: The Woodsman on March 26, 2016, 07:44:38 PM
around $100  I just don't see spending a lot on my first trumpet.
If I like them and get hooked then price is a different story
That will get you a fine Crawdad trumpet. You won't be disappointed.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

crow

Mark Sharpe cane yelper,

mine sounds as good and draws air as easy as any of my trumpets

wvmntnhick

Jeff Jones, goes by lumberjack on here, makes a fine trumpet and its budget priced. Not sure it's still in the classifieds but he had a black cherry trumpet on there for like $60-$65 bucks. I'm telling you, even though it's got a small defect, I've heard the call run and it sounds great. I got one from him made of cedar. It's a lovely piece man. Not saying I've mastered it by any means but it didn't take but just a handful of sessions to get some turkey out of t and I feel as though after a short week with it, I could've called a bird if I needed to. Still have some learning to do but he makes a great trumpet for the cost. Excellent for a beginner as well.