turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Vest pet peeves

Started by derek, March 26, 2016, 02:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek

Just got a new vest, and was reminded of a pet peeve of mine in regards to the majority of manufactured turkey vests and safety.  The underside of the seat cushion on most vests is solid black.. and about the size of a turkey.   It's always been a concern of mine, that someone sneaks in close to you while you're working a bird, you decide you need to sneak a little bit closer to the bird and have no idea someone is behind you.  He sees movement and a black spot through the brush as you stand up.  Or say you shoot.. next thing this guy sees is a black turkey size spot running through the woods.. in the excitement and chaos... bad things could happen. 

I have always painted the black on the backside of the pad, and will with this one, but it always amazed me why I even needed to.  I've always been taught black, red, white and blue were colors to avoid in the spring time.. why don't vest manufacturers do the same?
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Cutt

Quote from: derek on March 26, 2016, 02:40:59 PM
I've always been taught black, red, white and blue were colors to avoid in the spring time.. why don't vest manufacturers do the same?

Because they are not wearing it and don't have to worry about being shot at? Who knows, really makes you wonder where their heads are at?

Something I always wondered is why do some shell manufacture's put out red hull turkey loads? Sure they are small and usually concealed in the gun, but why red of all colors? I use the Hevi now which are a goldish color, but do remember using red hulls years ago, and always wondered?

Farmboy27

If some one shoots me because they see a red shell going from my vest to my gun while standing beside my pickup,  then they probably would have shot me for loading a blaze orange shell too!  I agree that black might not be the best color for seat cushion but i think the chances of being hurt in a car crash on the way to the woods far out way your chance of being shot because of a black cushion.

Cutt

Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 26, 2016, 04:21:45 PM
If some one shoots me because they see a red shell going from my vest to my gun while standing beside my pickup,  then they probably would have shot me for loading a blaze orange shell too! 

Well that's you, not all do the same as you. I always liked carrying a few extra shells on my stock, in a shell holder, but when using red back then, I had to keep them in my vest. Regardless, the point is, why red?