only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

50 yard pattern

Started by Bigeclipse, March 26, 2016, 10:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

Quote from: Bigeclipse on March 26, 2016, 11:23:19 AM
Quote from: Gamblinman on March 26, 2016, 11:18:34 AM
Don't forget...not only a loss of pattern density, but loss of energy too. After 40 yds, even lead drops off fast in retained energy.
Understood and that's why I'd never intentially shoot at 50. I have searched around and it appears longbeard  #6s retain enough at 50 for  head/neck penetration for an ethical kill.
Longbeard 6s don't have anymore energy at 50 yards than any other lead 6s!  In fact, they have less energy than the high velocity loads shooting 1300 fps. The resin that makes them pattern so well has nothing to do with the overall energy and penetration of the pellets. Lead leaving the barrel at 1200 fps has less energy than lead leaving the barrel at 1300 fps. Just plain physics.

turkeyfoot

I get what your saying I rarely to never shoot as far as my gun can but if you hunt a lot year and year out there will be situations where you will be glad for the insurance on misjudging distance. We can talk range finders and stepping off yards all day but truth is lot times you are walking and strike a gobbler up and there is no time for this and you have to rely on your judgement which if on field edge is tougher than woods and if all comes together quick even the most seasoned hunter can be off few yards. All hunts are not same

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 26, 2016, 05:18:27 PM
Don't forget...not only a loss of pattern density, but loss of energy too. After 40 yds, even lead drops off fast in retained energy.
Understood and that's why I'd never intentially shoot at 50. I have searched around and it appears longbeard  #6s retain enough at 50 for  head/neck penetration for an ethical kill.
Longbeard 6s don't have anymore energy at 50 yards than any other lead 6s!  In fact, they have less energy than the high velocity loads shooting 1300 fps. The resin that makes them pattern so well has nothing to do with the overall energy and penetration of the pellets. Lead leaving the barrel at 1200 fps has less energy than lead leaving the barrel at 1300 fps. Just plain physics.

Understood but it is also the quantity of pellets. The reason being is at 2ft/lbs...about half the pellets will penetration bone. So the more pellets the better. Now less than 2 ftlbs energy, they will still penetration soft neck tissue and fracture bone and cut vessels so again more pellets the better. I'll look for the recent study I came across last year about lead shot testing and it showed #6 still penetration ballistics gel 1.5 inches at 60 yards. Also, longbeard XR are actually slightly larger per shot size by a few thousandths. So number 6s are really kind of like 5.5s-5.75s. Again...I'm not advocating the 50 yard shot but I don't doubt they would do it and many reports are showing this to be true...again not by me though.

Gobble!

Quote from: Bigeclipse on March 26, 2016, 08:24:31 PM
Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 26, 2016, 05:18:27 PM

Understood but it is also the quantity of pellets. The reason being is at 2ft/lbs...about half the pellets will penetration bone. So the more pellets the better. Now less than 2 ftlbs energy, they will still penetration soft neck tissue and fracture bone and cut vessels so again more pellets the better. I'll look for the recent study I came across last year about lead shot testing and it showed #6 still penetration ballistics gel 1.5 inches at 60 yards. Also, longbeard XR are actually slightly larger per shot size by a few thousandths. So number 6s are really kind of like 5.5s-5.75s. Again...I'm not advocating the 50 yard shot but I don't doubt they would do it and many reports are showing this to be true...again not by me though.

First time I have ever heard the long beards being on the big side. A lead #6 at 1,200 fps penetrates 1.25" into bellisitcs gel at 52 yards. 1.5" at 60 yards is either a huge #6, more like a 4.75, or much faster than long beard shells.

Bigeclipse

Just stating what the test showed. I will try and find it again.

surehuntsalot

I don't care what brand of shell it is, shooting a #6 50yds and beyond is a wounded bird about to happen
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gooserbat

Lead #6 will kill past 40 yards.  Infact it will kill at 50 if the pattern density is there.  TKP (turkey killing power) is a combo of two things.  The given density of a pattern and the penetration of the shot of a given patern.  For instance my 870 shoots 230 with longbeard #6.  I can still put 100 pellets in 10" at 60 yards but the #6 lead runs out of steam at around 52.  Take win HV #5, I'm putting around 100 in the 10@40 and my individual shot is running enough momentum to 60+.  That's why over the years we've all heard or saw the golden BB efect. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Gobble!

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 27, 2016, 11:59:15 AM
Lead #6 will kill past 40 yards.  Infact it will kill at 50 if the pattern density is there.  TKP (turkey killing power) is a combo of two things.  The given density of a pattern and the penetration of the shot of a given patern.  For instance my 870 shoots 230 with longbeard #6.  I can still put 100 pellets in 10" at 60 yards but the #6 lead runs out of steam at around 52.  Take win HV #5, I'm putting around 100 in the 10@40 and my individual shot is running enough momentum to 60+.  That's why over the years we've all heard or saw the golden BB efect.

How many times have I heard it only takes 1, lol.

owlhoot

Quote from: turkeyfoot on March 26, 2016, 05:26:28 PM
I get what your saying I rarely to never shoot as far as my gun can but if you hunt a lot year and year out there will be situations where you will be glad for the insurance on misjudging distance. We can talk range finders and stepping off yards all day but truth is lot times you are walking and strike a gobbler up and there is no time for this and you have to rely on your judgement which if on field edge is tougher than woods and if all comes together quick even the most seasoned hunter can be off few yards. All hunts are not same
True , we all have to try to do the best we can. rangefinders and or pacing off to a bush, tree or clump of grass if possible is the best prevention for shooting too far.
Something we tried for fun and practice was to take our strutter decoys and place them around in the woods and especially field and pasture edges, go back sit down an guess the range. Preseason prep just like patterning your shotgun prepares you and helps cure the pre-season blues.

silvestris

It sounds to me that some lack confidence in their calling ability.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bigeclipse

Quote from: silvestris on March 27, 2016, 07:46:03 PM

I don't doubt my calling capabilities but I do doubt my land options. I only have 200 acres to hunt near by and we do get several Tom's rooming the area but a whole season might have a run in with only one tom so if all I have is a 40 yard shot...I'm taking it and not waiting to see if the bird is coming in closer unless I know for sure he is coming.

DirtNap647

Lol good to see wadell show up and the bone collector crew nice to have you aboard

owlhoot

Quote from: Bigeclipse on March 27, 2016, 08:17:07 PM

I don't my calling capabilities but I do doubt my land options. I only have 200 acres to hunt near by and we do get several Tom's rooming the area but a whole season might have a run in with only one tom so if all I have is a 40 yard shot...I'm taking it and not waiting to see if the bird is coming in closer unless I know for sure he is coming.
Have a little confidence and patience there Bige. Now when working a bird 40 yards is not a magic line for bringing him in. It can seem that way because of the shooting limit imposed though.
I believe you will find that if you get them to 40 yards that you can get them to 35 , to 30 to 25 and if you let them you will need to go to a shorter barrel because it will get in the way! In my experience anyway a hung up tom is 55-70 yards and gets a pass. That is turkey hunting and calling.  :z-twocents:

Gobble!

Quote from: owlhoot on March 27, 2016, 09:09:20 PM
Quote from: Bigeclipse on March 27, 2016, 08:17:07 PM

I don't my calling capabilities but I do doubt my land options. I only have 200 acres to hunt near by and we do get several Tom's rooming the area but a whole season might have a run in with only one tom so if all I have is a 40 yard shot...I'm taking it and not waiting to see if the bird is coming in closer unless I know for sure he is coming.
Have a little confidence and patience there Bige. Now when working a bird 40 yards is not a magic line for bringing him in. It can seem that way because of the shooting limit imposed though.
I believe you will find that if you get them to 40 yards that you can get them to 35 , to 30 to 25 and if you let them you will need to go to a shorter barrel because it will get in the way! In my experience anyway a hung up tom is 55-70 yards and gets a pass. That is turkey hunting and calling.  :z-twocents:

When I think he's at 40, 90% of the time I have verified the distance before he's even there, he's getting shot at. Has nothing to do with a lack of confidence. At that point I feel I have won and it's my magic line. My gun and shell provide more than enough buffer even if I'm way off.